Author Topic: PM desaturating images when using "Save Photo As..."  (Read 5122 times)

Offline RMLYphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM desaturating images when using "Save Photo As..."
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
Hi, so this is my first time using this thread and I'm sorry if this has already been brought up, but I've been attempting to control click and use the "Save Photo As.." feature in photo mechanic while editing to convert my .NEF files to jpegs but every time I do this the jpegs are always desaturated and lacking the contrast that I have amped up in my camera settings.  If anyone knows a way to keep the colors the same while saving as or can point me in the right direction I'd certainly appreciate it. 

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM desaturating images when using "Save Photo As..."
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »
Ryan,

Hi, so this is my first time using this thread and I'm sorry if this has already been brought up, but I've been attempting to control click and use the "Save Photo As.." feature in photo mechanic while editing to convert my .NEF files to jpegs but every time I do this the jpegs are always desaturated and lacking the contrast that I have amped up in my camera settings.  If anyone knows a way to keep the colors the same while saving as or can point me in the right direction I'd certainly appreciate it. 

I suggest using Nikon's software to make JPEGs from your RAW files.  They should look much better that way.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »
I suggest using Nikon's software to make JPEGs from your RAW files.  They should look much better that way.

Actually they just look fine when using PM to do the save as. In fact they look the same as when I would have saved them from within e.g., ViewNX or Capture NX2. That your image become desaturated when performing the save as from PM sounds weird to me and is certainly not something I have seen, ever. Are you perhaps looking at your images at an uncalibrated monitor and/or are comparing colour managed versus non colour managed views?

Another possibility could be that you are converting your Adobe RGB images to sRG; in this conversion some vibrance may be lost as sRGB is not capable of showing the same colours as Adobe RGB (especially the reddest reds in sRGB are less vibrant).

Hope this explains things a bit,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline drjay32

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Luminescence of Nature Photograpy
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:14:13 AM »
Ryan-

If you have CNX2 set up to use anything other than the sRGB color space, then the preview JPEGs embedded in your NEFs will be in whatever color space you've used as your CNX2 defaults.

Whenever I save JPEGs from PM, I always check the "convert to sRGB" checkbox to avoid color issues. There will always be subtle color changes when downsizing and compressing JPEGs; that's the nature of the business.

For high-end JPEGs I save a JPEG copy with my precise dimensions and sharpening from CNX2 and then use PM to save a watermarked copy if need be... without any resizing or sharpening applied.

-Jason
Jason P. Odell
Photographer and author in Colorado, USA
www.luminescentphoto.com