Author Topic: Pair / Sync / update raw based TIFF / TIF files with its JPG / JPEG derivates  (Read 6862 times)

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
  • Let's be nice to nature!
    • View Profile
    • Sebastian Burger Photography and Projects
Hi there!

As there isn't a tag-window below this WYSIWYG-Window I put all the keywords below which I personally would like to find this question (and its answer) with "/" in the subject field - is that good or bad this was ?

First: I swopped to PM (and will most pobably buy it after its test period will have run out) because Bridge (since its CS5) verion wasn't anymore able to handle my workflow: I am editing pictures exclusively in ACR so that there are sometimes megabytes of text-based info attached in the xmp part of the raw based tiff files (or the xmp-sidecars talking of elaborated CR2 files). Bridge always reads all these xmp information and crashed. PM doesn't.

QUESTION 1
Is it possible to update jpeg files from tiff files (i.e. copy IPTC info from 01.tiff to 01.jpg) - shown in one contactsheet it just wouldn't work.

Here is why: after I elaborated 20 h long 140 CR2 files and 70 raw based tiff files I updated them - only the XMP info of the tiff files wouldn't be recognized anymore by ACR. Of course I woked with copied tiff files. So what I did was: to render the jpgs that I need to send from the old and working raw based tiff files and copied manually via alt+c and alt+v the iptc info pair-wise. I thought: what a pity, why doesn't PM accept raw based tiff files as raw files just pairing them. With CR2 files and their derivates it does work...

Thanks and all the best from Germany, Sebastian
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:19:09 AM by sebastianbremen »
Working since 2012 on https://www.mut-tour.de: As Initiator and "art director" I deal a lot with my and other photographers images and am happy to leave fuggin' Adobe's subscription trap. Hoping camera bits guys keep on programming.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Sebastian,

As there isn't a tag-window below this WYSIWYG-Window I put all the keywords below which I personally would like to find this question (and its answer) with "/" in the subject field - is that good or bad this was ?

First: I swopped to PM (and will most pobably buy it after its test period will have run out) because Bridge (since its CS5) verion wasn't anymore able to handle my workflow: I am editing pictures exclusively in ACR so that there are sometimes megabytes of text-based info attached in the xmp part of the raw based tiff files (or the xmp-sidecars talking of elaborated CR2 files). Bridge always reads all these xmp information and crashed. PM doesn't.

QUESTION 1
Is it possible to update jpeg files from tiff files (i.e. copy IPTC info from 01.tiff to 01.jpg) - shown in one contactsheet it just wouldn't work.

Here is why: after I elaborated 20 h long 140 CR2 files and 70 raw based tiff files I updated them - only the XMP info of the tiff files wouldn't be recognized anymore by ACR. Of course I woked with copied tiff files. So what I did was: to render the jpgs that I need to send from the old and working raw based tiff files and copied manually via alt+c and alt+v the iptc info pair-wise. I thought: what a pity, why doesn't PM accept raw based tiff files as raw files just pairing them. With CR2 files and their derivates it does work...

If the TIFF file is truly a TIFF file and is not a RAW file then PM won't pair it with a JPEG.  What do you mean by "70 raw based tiff files"?  What camera did these files come from?

-Kirk

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
these 70 files came out of my "Epson-Camera" - scanned negatives.

Thanks, Sebastian
Working since 2012 on https://www.mut-tour.de: As Initiator and "art director" I deal a lot with my and other photographers images and am happy to leave fuggin' Adobe's subscription trap. Hoping camera bits guys keep on programming.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Sebastian,

these 70 files came out of my "Epson-Camera" - scanned negatives.

That doesn't sound like a real RAW file, just a basic TIFF file.  PM will only pair RAW and JPEG files together.  There were some older models (Canon 1D/1Ds) that produced a true RAW file with the .TIF extension and PM will pair that TIFF file and an accompanying JPEG file together.

It sounds like you need to get the XMP sidecar data put into your TIFF files somehow.  PM won't associate an XMP sidecar file with a TIFF file since TIFF files are perfectly capable of containing XMP metadata within the TIFF file itself.  It is possible that ExifTool could read in an XMP file and insert it into a TIFF file for you.  ExifTool is a command-line application but there are several GUI applications that make ExifTool easier to use.  Search Google for "ExifTool GUI" to find those applications.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Just a though - if these are 32bit or 48bit not gamma corrected files right from the scanner (I guess through VueScan or Silverfast), why don't you save them as DNG files? You would save yourself all the hassle, since all the info including from ACR and IPTC would reside inside the DNG as it should. And they should also get associated with same name JPEGs, am I right, Kirk?

I am pretty sure both scanner software allows output to DNG.

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
ah...cool idea, so I check whether I can convert the existing tiff files into dng's. If I use the next time Silverfast I check it out! If that was the solution: fine :-)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Frantisek,

Just a though - if these are 32bit or 48bit not gamma corrected files right from the scanner (I guess through VueScan or Silverfast), why don't you save them as DNG files? You would save yourself all the hassle, since all the info including from ACR and IPTC would reside inside the DNG as it should. And they should also get associated with same name JPEGs, am I right, Kirk?

Yes, a DNG and a JPEG with the same base name should be associated and paired together.

-Kirk

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
yes! that works! cool guys, thanks for the support!