Author Topic: PM and Growl  (Read 5524 times)

Offline aknapik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM and Growl
« on: February 19, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »
I am running PM 4.6.8, and OSX 10.7.3

PM was removed from Growl 1.3.3 - how do I get it to come back and communicate with Growl again.  I have tried to reinstall growl, but it did not work, any suggestions?

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM and Growl
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:56:30 AM »
I am running PM 4.6.8, and OSX 10.7.3

PM was removed from Growl 1.3.3 - how do I get it to come back and communicate with Growl again.  I have tried to reinstall growl, but it did not work, any suggestions?

Try using Growl's Preferences pane in System Preferences.  The Applications tab lets you enable and disable applications.

-Kirk

Offline aknapik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:42:51 AM »
PM was removed - not just disabled, and does not even show on the list of applications anymore. 

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »
PM was removed - not just disabled, and does not even show on the list of applications anymore. 

OK, we'll have to look into this and get back to you.  It is likely that the new Growl doesn't work with older Growl-enabled applications.

-Kirk

Offline aknapik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:02:15 AM »
I do have it working on a MBP that is using the same settings. 

Offline aknapik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:01:12 AM »
OK - I got PM to come back into Growl by copying framework folder from MBP to iMac - now my issue seems to be with Growl not working correctly.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:16:16 AM »
If you are using the app store Growl (paid version), I simply downloaded Growl Inspector form Growl website, ran it, and updated PM's framework to latest version. That worked for me. So far no issues even though it might be a little hack.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »
Hi, Frantisek
Sorry for the naive question...I had never heard of Growl, is there any advantage in using Growl for PM users?
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:21:57 PM »
Hi Luiz, Growl is basically an unified notifier board for Apple's OS X, that various software including Photo Mechanic can use to post visible messages to the user even if the software itself is hidden or out of view. The main feature in connection with PM is the ingest, when you are ingesting a card you can switch to another application like Safari or Mail, continue your work, and when the ingest finishes in the background, PM will tell Growl and Growl will display a simple notification pop up in a corner of the screen (configurable in many ways like which corner, duration, colours, et cetera). Which is pretty nice because you can continue working on the computer during the ingest, in other apps, but you get instantly notified when the ingest finishes. I am not sure if other features of PM like FTP upload are Growl integrated as well, but I do use it for ingesting. PM does have its own notify system I think, but Growl has been an already used standard for such things, and works pretty well for that, so I am glad they included the support for it in PM. And it used to be free (the older version is still free, but newest on Apple App store is like 1.99$ I think).

All in all, a nice thing to have, but nothing you couldn't get without. But for the ingest, the notifications are pretty nice.