Author Topic: Approximate dates.  (Read 2228 times)

Offline sgbotsford

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Approximate dates.
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »

In the IPTC spec, it mentions that dates don't have to be complete.  E.g. you may only know the year or the year and the month of an image. 

So far in my trial of Photo Mechanic, I don't seem to be able to enter a partial date.

Example:  I have many slides that are stamped with things like "Jan 75" So I want to enter a date as 1975-Jan WITHOUT a day on it.  (I could make do with the convention that it was 1975-Jan-0)

This is common in working with archives. 

Similarly you need a way to say "unknown" for time.

If I can't find a workaround, this one is a show stopper for me.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Approximate dates.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »

In the IPTC spec, it mentions that dates don't have to be complete.  E.g. you may only know the year or the year and the month of an image. 

So far in my trial of Photo Mechanic, I don't seem to be able to enter a partial date.

Example:  I have many slides that are stamped with things like "Jan 75" So I want to enter a date as 1975-Jan WITHOUT a day on it.  (I could make do with the convention that it was 1975-Jan-0)

This is common in working with archives. 

Similarly you need a way to say "unknown" for time.

If I can't find a workaround, this one is a show stopper for me.

Yes, sorry we only support complete dates.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Approximate dates.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 03:53:52 AM »
My own workaround for this has been to use a day/month as close as I could determine for the shot with a time of 0:00. This way you at least identify the ones without an exact datetime easily. But yes, I guess it would be nice if PM allowed 0 for date parts.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl