Author Topic: Sort by capture time with two cameras is not working well  (Read 11604 times)

Offline dmdeckbar

• View Profile
Sort by capture time with two cameras is not working well
« on: February 27, 2012, 02:17:02 PM »
Dear Kirk and Team,
my 1D MkIV and 5 DMKII are synchronized in time via the canon software ! So the time should be exactly the same.
If I sort after the ingest by the capture time in works but not every time.

Maybe one out of a range of 5 is not together with the 5 frames it is 4 shots away in the range of the other camera !

Where could be the problem ?

Kind regards

Dirk

( And of course I am really looking forward to PM5 )

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sort by capture time with two cameras is not working well
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
Dirk,

Dear Kirk and Team,
my 1D MkIV and 5 DMKII are synchronized in time via the canon software ! So the time should be exactly the same.
If I sort after the ingest by the capture time in works but not every time.

Maybe one out of a range of 5 is not together with the 5 frames it is 4 shots away in the range of the other camera !

Where could be the problem ?

Perhaps you could list the capture times of a group of the images?

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »
I used to try setting one camera against the other but it rarely worked well. I now use a wrist watch that receives the time from a satellite and even if I sync the time a few seconds or minutes later both D3s are spot on.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »
It might be that 5DII doesn't support time to the subsecond like the 1D series does? Just a thought.

Offline dmdeckbar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:10:02 PM »
Dear Kirk, what mean by - you could list the capture time of a group of images - ?

How should I do that ? Not im PM or ???

- Dirk

Offline dmdeckbar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:12:55 PM »
It looks like this !

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 04:50:49 AM »

How recently were the cameras' clocks synced with the computer?  I find that a pair of 5DII cameras will get out of sync within a few days, and it only needs to be out be a couple of seconds before you see shots from different cameras overlapping like you showed.  Of course, if you have multiple photographers then you can have multiple photographs taken at the same time, so the problems are exacerbated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 06:18:43 AM »
It looks like this !

I need a list of the actual capture times as textual data, not a screen shot.  Use the {time} variable in your Info Text.  Use the Preview window and view the three images that appear out of order, and copy the value of the {time} variable from the Info Text pane and paste it into your reply to this message.

You can modify your Info Text by going the Edit menu, then to the Settings sub menu, and then choosing Info Text...

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dmdeckbar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 01:25:15 AM »
Dear Kirk, that makes the problem more visible !

with the MK4 I have 4 frames with the exact same time ! And also the same time once with 5D.
Maybe I have to sync the cameras before every job ! The camera clock seems not to be swiss made !

But why do I have the MK4 times multiple ? I am not shooting on high speed  with many frames in a second !

The Canon should more split seconds for better sorting by time or ???

All the best Dirk

0447.CR2 = 13:36:15 - MK4
0448.CR2 = 13:36:15 - MK4
0449.CR2 = 13:36:15 - 5DMII
0451.CR2 = 13:36:16 - MK4
0452.CR2 = 13:36:16 - 5DMII

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:54:08 AM »
The camera clock seems not to be swiss made !

I suspect this is the root of the problem!  I sync cameras to computer time always before big shoots, and usually every week or two otherwise.  My workflow starts with photos arranged by time shot but renames photos with a sequence number.  If there are a just a few shots out of sequence as in your screenshot I simply drag them into order, rename, and then the default sort is by name (since it is so much quicker).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 06:52:38 AM »
Dirk,

with the MK4 I have 4 frames with the exact same time ! And also the same time once with 5D.
Maybe I have to sync the cameras before every job ! The camera clock seems not to be swiss made !

But why do I have the MK4 times multiple ? I am not shooting on high speed  with many frames in a second !

There is an additional time variable {subsecond} that will show the partial seconds recorded by the camera for those cameras that support it.  You can try making a Custom Sort using:

{time}{subsecond} as your primary sort and
{filename} as your secondary sort

and see if that improves things.  But as I can see with your data PM is performing correctly in Capture Time sort mode for the above set of images.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 06:06:08 PM »
Dirk,

There is an additional time variable {subsecond} that will show the partial seconds recorded by the camera for those cameras that support it.  You can try making a Custom Sort using:

and see if that improves things.  But as I can see with your data PM is performing correctly in Capture Time sort mode for the above set of images.

-Kirk

Kirk, does it mean PM doesn't consider {subsecond} in the standard Capture Time sort?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 08:34:04 PM »
Dirk,

-Kirk

Kirk, does it mean PM doesn't consider {subsecond} in the standard Capture Time sort?

That is correct.

-Kirk

Offline dmdeckbar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 11:17:19 PM »
OK I have too check that out on the next shoot ! The sorting by sub second its not solving the problem jet !
But good to know ! Most important thing should be to sync your camera quite often !

Thanks a lot for this great support and forum !

Dirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 03:32:35 AM »
OK I have too check that out on the next shoot ! The sorting by sub second its not solving the problem jet !
But good to know ! Most important thing should be to sync your camera quite often !

Thanks a lot for this great support and forum !

Dirk

Perhaps not necessary to sync the cameras often. There is a simple way to take a snapshot of the same clock (for highest precision preferably one that is synced to the atomic clock - free apps can be found for this both for computers and smartphones). Once you have a photo of theclock (that has seconds and subseconds too) with each one camera you can adjust the capture times of all the photos by checking the time ofset of the photo of the clock and adjusting all the other photos with the Adjust Capture Dates and Times option in the Tools menu in PM.
This lets you adjust the photo times even if you forgot to sync or didn't expect to need it before a shoot. Takes just 1 extra shot of the clock with each camera. And you can do it even hours or days after the shoot but it is best to do right before or after it. Not to mention it can be done by an assistant or even a remote editor if you send your photos after the shoot, withou the need to have the cameras at hand or accessible the person doing the adjustment.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com