Author Topic: Canon 5D Mk II, Ingest, and .mov files  (Read 1879 times)

Offline stevieray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Canon 5D Mk II, Ingest, and .mov files
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:26:24 PM »

I am using the ingest feature of PM to download images from a Canon 5D Mk II.  At times I shoot video footage (.mov) with the camera and PM is unable to correctly ingest these files.  I use a name macro that includes the {model} variable, and when the file is a .mov, PM leaves this value blank.  I have seen the same behavior on a old Canon P&S, so I don't think this is unique to the 5D.  I am guessing that the location for model information in a jpg or raw file is different from the location used in a .avi or .mov file, and it appears that PM is not accounting for this discrepancy.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Is there a good work around? 

Thanks.

Offline efox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D Mk II, Ingest, and .mov files
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »
Hi,

I've experienced the same problem renaming files with a Nikon D300s and Mac OS X 10.7.2 Intel core i7 4GB and Photomechanic 4.6.8 - the Raw NEF files are renamed correctly to NIKON D300S if I use {model} but for AVI files this results in a blank field.

Checking the NEF file with Exiftool 8.80 for Mac shows there that in the NEF file there is a field called:

Camera Model Name ( Exiftool result = <tr><td>Camera Model Name</td><td>NIKON D300S</td></tr> )

and a field called:

Model (Exiftool result = <tr><td>Model</td><td>NIKON D300S</td></tr> )

Whereas with the AVI files that there is only the exif field called Model present. i.e.. The camera does not write to AVIs a Camera Model Name field, only a Model field.

I suspect that entering the variable string {model} in the rename function in Photomechanic maps to exif Camera Model Name and not Model since this would explain the AVI failing to rename properly.

If this is the case, it would be helpful to amend this and map {model} to exif Model and {cameramodelname} to exif Camera Model Name. Then, renaming would succeed for both NEF and AVI file types.