Author Topic: Photo Mechanic on new computer  (Read 2031 times)

Offline CrimsonCrow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • I Never Metaphysical I Didn't Like
Photo Mechanic on new computer
« on: March 05, 2012, 01:42:09 PM »
Dear Kirk,

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.8 and I run Mac OS X 10.6.8 on my Intel-based Mac.

I am about to lose my laptop due to wear and tear. I made a dupe boot disc from my computer to an external drive. Everything I have is on that and runs fine. I am about to get a "new" MacBook Pro with 10.6.8 on it. How do I bring all my hard work (settings, IPTC templates, keyword lists, etc to the new computer. I am no computer slouch and dang if I can find the preferences files for PM. I can reinstall the app with no problem when the new machine arrives. I have several of the .IPT files I saved for the stationery pads I made but can't find keywords and a few other things like Color Classes.

One more question...when using the Structured Keywords Panel, can one add a single keyword to the hierarchy after creating the whole thing in a hierarchical text file and importing (which worked GREAT by the way) or does one need to add it to the hierarchical text file and re-import it?

Thanks for your consideration.

Boots.
::Mac OS X::10.6.8::2.7 GHz Intel Core i7::2.7GHz MacBook Pro / PM v.4.6.8::

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic on new computer
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:36:21 PM »
Boots,

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.8 and I run Mac OS X 10.6.8 on my Intel-based Mac.

I am about to lose my laptop due to wear and tear. I made a dupe boot disc from my computer to an external drive. Everything I have is on that and runs fine. I am about to get a "new" MacBook Pro with 10.6.8 on it. How do I bring all my hard work (settings, IPTC templates, keyword lists, etc to the new computer. I am no computer slouch and dang if I can find the preferences files for PM. I can reinstall the app with no problem when the new machine arrives. I have several of the .IPT files I saved for the stationery pads I made but can't find keywords and a few other things like Color Classes.

Use the 'Export...' button in the PM Preferences dialog on the old machine to save your prefs as a single file.  Bring that file over to your new system and choose it when you click the 'Import...' button from the PM Preferences dialog on the new machine.

Quote from: CrimsonCrow
One more question...when using the Structured Keywords Panel, can one add a single keyword to the hierarchy after creating the whole thing in a hierarchical text file and importing (which worked GREAT by the way) or does one need to add it to the hierarchical text file and re-import it?

You can edit directly.  Right-click on an item to get a contextual menu with all of the commands.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline CrimsonCrow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • I Never Metaphysical I Didn't Like
Re: Photo Mechanic on new computer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »
Use the 'Export...' button in the PM Preferences dialog on the old machine to save your prefs as a single file.
Jeesh! How easy is that?!

You can edit directly.  Right-click on an item to get a contextual menu with all of the commands.
This tip is going to change everything! Suddenly PM opens up to me in a whole new way! Thanks, Kirk. So much!

Boots.
::Mac OS X::10.6.8::2.7 GHz Intel Core i7::2.7GHz MacBook Pro / PM v.4.6.8::