Author Topic: Apply Stationary To All Subfolders  (Read 5428 times)

Offline acabaero

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Apply Stationary To All Subfolders
« on: March 09, 2012, 06:52:51 PM »
I would like to see a feature where you could apply your stationary to a all subfolders. For work I have multiple shot folders of TIFFs and JPEGs in a root folder where I need to apply 2 fields to every image {filenamebase} & date.

Kirk informed me I could...
"You can open multiple folders into a single contact sheet by right-clicking (or Ctrl-click if you have a single button mouse) on the parent folder of the subfolders you wish to process in either the Favorites or Navigator.  A contextual menu will appear.  There are several choices on the menu.  Two of them open a folder and its subfolders by either reusing an existing contact sheet or by opening a new contact sheet tab."

Depending on the number of subfolders that are in the parent folder the process of opening them can take some time.

This method works but I have to right click every folder to 'add to the existing contact sheet' which is very time consuming if you have 20+ shot folders. For my situation I don't need to see thumbnails for anything. I just need to apply the stationary to everything. Ideally I would love for it to look like the ingest menu. Where I could just choose my folder and apply the stationery pad to all. Hope this can get added to the next version!

Thanks,
Anthony
PM 4.6.8, OS X 10.6.8

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Apply Stationary To All Subfolders
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:58:48 PM »
Anthony,

I would like to see a feature where you could apply your stationary to a all subfolders. For work I have multiple shot folders of TIFFs and JPEGs in a root folder where I need to apply 2 fields to every image {filenamebase} & date.

Kirk informed me I could...
"You can open multiple folders into a single contact sheet by right-clicking (or Ctrl-click if you have a single button mouse) on the parent folder of the subfolders you wish to process in either the Favorites or Navigator.  A contextual menu will appear.  There are several choices on the menu.  Two of them open a folder and its subfolders by either reusing an existing contact sheet or by opening a new contact sheet tab."

Depending on the number of subfolders that are in the parent folder the process of opening them can take some time.

This method works but I have to right click every folder to 'add to the existing contact sheet' which is very time consuming if you have 20+ shot folders. For my situation I don't need to see thumbnails for anything. I just need to apply the stationary to everything. Ideally I would love for it to look like the ingest menu. Where I could just choose my folder and apply the stationery pad to all. Hope this can get added to the next version!

Highly unlikely.  We're pretty much set on our feature set for version 5.

I am wondering why you're not just doing the work when you initially get your images copied onto your computer.  That is the time to do this work.  Use Ingest.

Do you already have hundreds of folders' worth of images that got onto your system by some other means?

Perhaps ExifTool (which is free) would be a better choice for your needs since it can already batch modify IPTC/Exif and has no capacity for showing thumbnails.

-Kirk

Offline acabaero

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:15:08 PM »
Hi Kirk,

You are correct. I am given a drive with RAWs (IIQ) with multiple shot folders that is copied to our servers. Once copied to our servers they are processed out (TIFF + JPEG) through Capture One. By using ingest I would have to make a duplicate copy of those images to a secondary location. I want the images to stay where they are. I will give ExifToll a shot since it may be a better alternative.

Thanks,
Anthony

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Hi Kirk,

You are correct. I am given a drive with RAWs (IIQ) with multiple shot folders that is copied to our servers. Once copied to our servers they are processed out (TIFF + JPEG) through Capture One. By using ingest I would have to make a duplicate copy of those images to a secondary location. I want the images to stay where they are. I will give ExifToll a shot since it may be a better alternative.

Thanks,
Anthony
I think you've misunderstood what Kirk was suggesting with the ingest function. You do not have to duplicate the images to a secondary location in order to make use of the ingest function.

From what you say, you are copying (just dragging and dropping I assume?) all the files to the server and THEN looking to add metadata with Photo Mechanic, a 2 step process.

I think the point Kirk was making is that you should use Photo Mechanic's ingest function along with the stationary pad to do the INITIAL copy to the server. Everything would be done in one step.

Hope this helps.