Author Topic: Sharp preview images  (Read 6795 times)

Offline arossphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sharp preview images
« on: October 15, 2006, 03:53:31 PM »
I'm currently comparing several products in an effort to improve my workflow and DAM. One feature I really like about Breeze Browser Pro is the option to "Display sharp preview images using the unique ‘HQ mode’".

This option makes reviewing images much nicer, especially when you're comparing fine details and focus, and it's much easier to visualize the final image. I've mentioned a few other things I like about BBPro/Downloader Pro in other topics, including the creation of multiple directories on download and the use of customizable html templates. I think html templates are coming in 4.5, but the other features would be nice too.

Cheers,

Andrew

« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 04:00:50 PM by arossphoto »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sharp preview images
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 04:16:46 PM »
Andrew,

I'm currently comparing several products in an effort to improve my workflow and DAM. One feature I really like about Breeze Browser Pro is the option to "Display sharp preview images using the unique ‘HQ mode’".

This option makes reviewing images much nicer, especially when you're comparing fine details and focus, and it's much easier to visualize the final image. I've mentioned a few other things I like about BBPro/Downloader Pro in other topics, including the creation of multiple directories on download and the use of customizable html templates. I think html templates are coming in 4.5, but the other features would be nice too.

On Windows, Photo Mechanic does not render RAW files.  We display the built-in previews contained within the RAW files.  If they are low resolution, then that's what you get.  I'd suspect that BB Pro is doing some sort of rendering, thus the difference.

-Kirk

Offline arossphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 06:52:55 PM »

On Windows, Photo Mechanic does not render RAW files.  We display the built-in previews contained within the RAW files.  If they are low resolution, then that's what you get.  I'd suspect that BB Pro is doing some sort of rendering, thus the difference.

-Kirk

You obviously know more about this than I do, so I'll have to take your word for it, but BBPro displays thumbs and previews of RAW files very, very quickly, so I'm not sure if there is any rendering going on. The HQ mode for sharp previews is an option in the view menu that can be turned on or off any time.

Andrew

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 07:04:17 PM »
Andrew,

You obviously know more about this than I do, so I'll have to take your word for it, but BBPro displays thumbs and previews of RAW files very, very quickly, so I'm not sure if there is any rendering going on. The HQ mode for sharp previews is an option in the view menu that can be turned on or off any time.

I don't know then.  Maybe it is just a high-quality scaling algorithm with a little sharpening thrown in for good measure...

-Kirk