Author Topic: Ingesting AP Custom xmp files  (Read 3493 times)

Offline gingerbird

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingesting AP Custom xmp files
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »
Hi, I'm using XMP files in the AP Custom area.  When I have saved caption with the xmp and I ingest, all is well when it's a jpeg.  However if I ingest a raw, Nikon NEF file, the AP custom area is wiped clean but the rest of the saved caption in the non-AP area of the IPTC pad is all there.   Is there something I'm missing here?

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingesting AP Custom xmp files
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:32:26 PM »
  I have tested your workflow Ingesting Nikon Raw + Jpeg files and so far everything is working correctly on my OS X.6.8 Macs and Vista PC. I used Nikon D200 Raw + Jpeg files. The AP custom field had just a single sentence from a person.

Can you tell me what operating system you are running and your camera model?  Have you tried selecting the the NEF file on the contact sheet and then Applying the Stationary Pad? This could be a possible work around until we can determine the cause of this problem on your computer.
regards,
--Bob

Offline gingerbird

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »
Hi Bob,

I'm starting with a blank IPTC field.  I hit load and embed the XMP file sent by AP and all the information shows up fine.  Then I type a caption in the non AP custom fields and save the snapshot.  When it's time to ingest, I double check to make sure everything is there and it is, but after ingestion, the box containing the info I embedded from the XMP is empty.  This only happens when I ingest RAW.  Yes I can reapply it after ingesting, that's what I usually do, if I remember, but it's not a part of the normal workflow and it adds time on and ingesting with captions is the number one reason I use PM.

I"m using a Nikon D3, Mac 10.5.8, PM 4.6.8.

You said you put a single sentence from a person in the field, can you try creating an XMP, save it to a desktop and load it into the AP custom area?  I'm not using the AP Custom button, I'm hitting load and finding an XMP file AP sent to me that I have saved on the desktop and loading it into the custom area.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 01:06:55 AM »
Something you have already checked, but what are your IPTC/XMP preferences set to, and then especially the order in which they take precedence (i.e., xmp sidecar before xmp embedded before iptc for raw). Perhaps this is the cause of the blanking?

PM takes care of updating all relevant sources, but other software may only update one (e.g., the sidecar only). This is especially true for raw files.

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 02:59:01 PM »
Hi Gingerbird,

Thank you for the updates. I tried your workflow on my X.5.8 G5 with some D3 raw + jpeg files. I loaded the Stationary Pad from an XMP file and then Ingested the files. So far everything is working correctly no matter how I set the IPTC / XMP preferences. PM creates a sidecar file for each NEF file Ingested. Even if I have the IPTC / XMP preferences set to only embed the IPTC in Tiff based raw files, PM will create a sidecar file if there are any XMP fields populated in the Stationary Pad. These are the fields marked with an asterisk.

Can you check the destination folder to see if Photo Mechanic generated the XMP sidecar files?  If they are not present, then I would reset the PM preference files and re-install Photo Mechanic. Before you remove the old PM preference files, start Photo Mechanic and go to the Preferences option in the Photo Mechanic menu. Click the Export button at the bottom of any page. After a few seconds a list will open. Click the Export button at the bottom to save this to your Desktop.   Call the file PM-prefs.PMX.  Quit Photo Mechanic. Use the Command-Tab shortcut to make sure Photo Mechanic's icon is not listed.

With the Finder running, use the Command-n shortcut to open your Home folder. Now open the Library folder and then the Preferences folder. Look for a folder called com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.  Rename the folder by adding -old to the end.  Delete the file called com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist below this renamed folder. Close the Finder window and download a fresh copy of Photo Mechanic for our website's Downloads page, using the Safari web browser.

Start the new install of Photo Mechanic and then go back to the Photo Mechanic menu and select Preferences. Click on the Import button at the bottom and locate the PM-prefs.PMX file you saved to your Desktop. Double click its icon to open the Import list. ( It takes a few seconds for the list to open ). Click the Import button at the bottom of the list to continue. If a complaint dialog opens, click the Yes button to complete the Import. Photo Mechanic will need to quit. When you start it again, everything should be working correctly now. If the problem persists, then please send the XMP file you are loading into the Stationary Pad as an email attachment. Send it to support@camerabits.com

regards,
--Bob

Offline gingerbird

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »
Hayo and Bob,

I attached a screenshot of my preferences.  I have clue what I'm doing and what should or should not be checked here.  Does it look ok?

Thanks,

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 04:25:12 AM »
Hi, Gingerbird and Hayo
Mine are different, see for yourself.
regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:27:25 AM by Luiz Muzzi »

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Hi Gingerbird,

Your IPTC/XMP preferences are set to read any IPTC info before the XMP. On the left side of the dialog, set the Jpeg, Tiff, PSD and Dng files to read XMP before IPTC.   For Tiff based raw files, First search the XMP sidecar file, Second will be the embedded XMP.   On the right side of the dialog, un-check the box to embed IPTC in Tiff based raw files. Now Photo Mechanic will only create sidecar files for any NEF file updates.