Author Topic: D2x Serial Number Issue / PM 4.4.3.3  (Read 19533 times)

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
D2x Serial Number Issue / PM 4.4.3.3
« on: October 15, 2006, 08:10:19 PM »
I'm using PM 4.4.3.3 on a Mac PowerBook G4.  I just received a Nikon D2x back from service, and PM appears incapable of extracting the camera's serial number from the image files (PM works just fine on another D2x even after the recent firmware upgrade, but not on the one that came back from repair).  Is this a bug related to PM's reading of files generated by cameras with the new firmware or something specific relating to the camera?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: D2x Serial Number Issue / PM 4.4.3.3
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 08:25:18 PM »
I'm using PM 4.4.3.3 on a Mac PowerBook G4.  I just received a Nikon D2x back from service, and PM appears incapable of extracting the camera's serial number from the image files (PM works just fine on another D2x even after the recent firmware upgrade, but not on the one that came back from repair).  Is this a bug related to PM's reading of files generated by cameras with the new firmware or something specific relating to the camera?

I don't know.  Could you send me a sample image?  Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message.  I'll arrange for you to upload a sample to our server.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 02:08:23 PM »

I traced through loading your sample file.  The serial number tag is present in the Maker note data in the file.  It is empty (well really it's just a bunch of 'space' characters).

Looks like a firmware bug since neither Capture NX nor Nikon Capture can show the serial number.

-Kirk

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 07:37:32 AM »
Could you please post a screen shot of Capture NX showing where the serial number would be?  I spoke with Nikon about the issue this morning, and they swear up and down that neither Capture nor Capture NX will show the serial number from the camera, and they are not aware that the serial number is included in the EXIF.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 08:15:59 AM »
Could you please post a screen shot of Capture NX showing where the serial number would be?  I spoke with Nikon about the issue this morning, and they swear up and down that neither Capture nor Capture NX will show the serial number from the camera, and they are not aware that the serial number is included in the EXIF.

The serial number is not in the EXIF data.  It is found inside the Nikon Maker Note.  In the picture you sent me, the serial number in the Nikon Maker Note is blank.  Thus, no software can show the serial number.

I'd say they have a bug in their latest firmware.  This is going to upset a lot of people.

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 01:22:05 PM »

The serial number is not in the EXIF data.  It is found inside the Nikon Maker Note.  In the picture you sent me, the serial number in the Nikon Maker Note is blank.  Thus, no software can show the serial number.

-Kirk

OK - technically the serial number is in the Exif data since the Maker note is in the Exif data (but the serial number isn't a standard Exif field so one can't expect to always have this useful bit of info).  Nikon stores the serial number in plain ASCII text so it is pretty easy to find if you know what it is or where to look for it.  Unfortunately, Nikon appears to have stopped writing a value for this maker note tag (it is just blank space chars) starting with the D200 and D2Xs.  My D200 doesn't show it nor do some photos from the D2Xs, both firmware 1.00 (i.e. prior to this firmware 2.00 update).  So apparently Nikon decided this is not something they should store anymore (even though the tag is still there - duh), especially since Capture or Capture NX don't show it (at least anywhere I can tell).

Sorry folks...

What some people do (e.g. Rob Galbraith) is to add an image comment in the camera with their name and serial number and this will indeed show up (i.e. you know who's camera it is and the serial number).  Use the {id} variable in PM which will show either the Exif comment field for Nikon cameras, or the Maker Note User field for Canon cameras.

--dennis

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 01:41:25 PM »
I have a d2X with V2 firmware and the serial number does show up in Adobe Bridge. Indicates its not a bug on a d2x.
\Marty

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 01:44:41 PM »
Maybe this is a stupid question, but is Nikon putting the serial number in the "Focal Length" field under the Maker Note section?

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 03:31:46 PM »
I have a d2X with V2 firmware and the serial number does show up in Adobe Bridge. Indicates its not a bug on a d2x.

Marty,

OK - I think I know what is happening.  It appears that Nikon doesn't write the serial number for JPEG photos, but does for NEF RAW files, and this may be the change in v2.00 firmware for D2X (but not D2Xs or D200).  The reason for this may have something to do with the encrypted white balance (according to ExifTool, the serial number is part of the key needed to decrypt the white balance, and you would only need this for RAW files presumably).

The jury is still out on this one until I can get some more files to look at.  In any case, if PM 4.4.3.3 doesn't show the serial number, then it is probably not there since as far as I know we are looking in the right spot in the maker note for the info.  If you are viewing RAW+JPEG pairs, you will need to split these (View menu in PM) in order to really tell whether or not the photo has the serial number, since PM will be showing you the JPEG info for a RAW+JPEG pair.

If anyone knows whether or not Capture or Capture NX shows the serial number that would be nice to know.

--dennis

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 10:28:40 AM »

Where in Adobe Bridge do you go to view the serial number (assuming the camera is storing the number in the EXIF information)?

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 11:30:28 AM »
OK - I think I know what is happening.  It appears that Nikon doesn't write the serial number for JPEG photos, but does for NEF RAW files, and this may be the change in v2.00 firmware for D2X (but not D2Xs or D200).  The reason for this may have something to do with the encrypted white balance (according to ExifTool, the serial number is part of the key needed to decrypt the white balance, and you would only need this for RAW files presumably).

I fired off a few RAW frames, and it does not include the serial number in the EXIF information.  I'll have to try with the other camera this evening.

If I can get you a set of samples (of RAW/JPEG) files with and without the serial number (both using the latest firmware), where should I send those?

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 11:36:42 AM »

Where in Adobe Bridge do you go to view the serial number (assuming the camera is storing the number in the EXIF information)?

If the serial number is present it is the last entry of the Metadata tab after Make and Model.  Or you can just use PM  ;)

--dennis

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 11:43:59 AM »
I never use Bridge, but Nikon's approach has been to blame the issue on PM.  If PM and Bridge exhibit the same behavior, then the issue should be back in Nikon's court.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 12:15:39 PM »
Marty,

Thanks for the sample D2X NEF and JPEG.  As you probably already know, the serial number does indeed appear in both files.  Hmmm...  ???

Not sure then why some D2X files wouldn't have the serial number unless they were processed by some other software (both Capture 4.4.2 and Capture NX 1.0.1 seem to preserve the serial number).

--dennis

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 02:57:10 PM »
I've uploaded samples generated by the camera that just came back from service.  The serial number does not appear in the EXIF for the NEF or JPG files.