Author Topic: There were error(s) during the copy operation message  (Read 4723 times)

Offline ktwentya

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
There were error(s) during the copy operation message
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:17:24 AM »
Photo Mechanic version 4.6.8 and Mac OS X 10.6.8

Not sure what happened but after I rated my pictures using color class and tried to copy/move & rename my photos to my hard drive. I've received an error during the copy operation.

Looks like the raw data is still on my CF card and I still see the image thumbnails, however, when I look at the raw file in my finder I see that there are empty dashes (i.e. -----) for "Date Modified", Zero KB for "Size", and Alias under "Kind".

Please can someone assist.

- Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: There were error(s) during the copy operation message
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:42:50 AM »
Dave,

Photo Mechanic version 4.6.8 and Mac OS X 10.6.8

Not sure what happened but after I rated my pictures using color class and tried to copy/move & rename my photos to my hard drive. I've received an error during the copy operation.

Looks like the raw data is still on my CF card and I still see the image thumbnails, however, when I look at the raw file in my finder I see that there are empty dashes (i.e. -----) for "Date Modified", Zero KB for "Size", and Alias under "Kind".

Are you editing the files on your card?  Please don't ever do this.  At this point you're likely going to need to use some sort of Image Rescue software.

Use Ingest to download your cards to two destinations.  That way you have two backups (at least until you reformat your card) and if anything goes wrong you can get a copy from your backup.

-Kirk

Offline ktwentya

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:46:33 AM »
Hey Kirk,

No, I'm not editing off the CF card. All I did was set the color class of my photos and copied the files over instead of ingesting. It seems that the thumbnails appear to have lost it's path to where the actual data is stored when the files were being copied and renamed.

Is there anyway to recover this in PM? If I need other software to recover it, do you have any recommendation?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »
Dave,

No, I'm not editing off the CF card. All I did was set the color class of my photos and copied the files over instead of ingesting. It seems that the thumbnails appear to have lost it's path to where the actual data is stored when the files were being copied and renamed.

Is there anyway to recover this in PM? If I need other software to recover it, do you have any recommendation?

If you were setting color class, rating, tag, etc. while browsing your CF card with Photo Mechanic then you were 'editing' or modifying the contents of your card.

I have personally used Image Rescue.  There are several others though that I understand work equally well.

-Kirk

Offline ktwentya

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:42:40 AM »
Thx. I didn't realize that. I'll give it a shot.