Author Topic: PM Corrupting files after ingest?  (Read 2687 times)

Offline akolyer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM Corrupting files after ingest?
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »
Hi guys,

It seems when PM is doing something weird to my files after I ingest them after color classing them on the card. I don't usually like to edit my photos directly on the card, but I have been a little absent minded lately and it seems I'm doing it more and more by accident.

So I put my card in my reader on my MBP (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3) then start going through my photos and color classing them. I then use the ingest dialog in PM (4.6.8) and use variables to create folder names. I also have it fill out my IPTC from the global pad.

So first thing strange I notice is that in the thumbnails view I see it doesn't have the EXIF info like all the others next to it (see screenshot). However, all the EXIF data along with my caption shows normally when I open the preview pane to look at it.

The second odd thing is that I tried opening the same folder in Bridge, and the color class (or any other rating/label) doesn't show, and more importantly, I can't open the file in ACR (yes, it's a jpg but you can open jpgs in ACR in CS5) like the ones next to it.

This also causes occasional problems when I try to copy my images to my Drobo. I've gotten "unexpected end of file" errors, but not in every case.

Any thought's?

Thanks,

Alex

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM Corrupting files after ingest?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 01:55:59 PM »
Never, ever edit on your card.  There are many threads on these forums about issues of corruption when editing on cards.  So much so that in PM5, editing on the card will no longer modify the contents of the card.  The edits will stay in memory but will transfer when the files are copied to your persistent storage.

Never edit on your card.

-Kirk

Offline akolyer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM Corrupting files after ingest?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
Awesome, Kirk. Thanks.

So just so I'm clear: I shouldn't edit on the card, right?  ;)

Like I said, it's not because I wanted to. Just being absent minded.

alex