Author Topic: auto advance doesn't work  (Read 7511 times)

Offline andy603

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
auto advance doesn't work
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:01:12 AM »
I have 'when tag is change' selected but it will not advance... Using v 4.6.8 on Mac OS 10.7.3

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: auto advance doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »
I have 'when tag is change' selected but it will not advance... Using v 4.6.8 on Mac OS 10.7.3

What kind of images are you working with?  Do the images actually get tagged?

-Kirk

Offline andy603

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »
raw images from Canon 5D MII.  I use Command and + which tags it..but then it doesn't forward to next file.... but it does put a little checkmark on the file I just selected.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 12:51:48 AM »
Any difference when you tag with "t" key?

Offline andy603

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 05:56:12 AM »
nope.....this is getting frustrating...I'm demoing this and I'm not having a good first experience with a simple function!?  Am I missing something?  I have "Automatically advance to next photo when--tag is changed" selected...I've gone in and out of the app but no luck...is there another setting somewhere I don't have set?  Can you test this on Mac OS 10.7?  Anyone else have this prob?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 06:31:24 AM »
nope.....this is getting frustrating...I'm demoing this and I'm not having a good first experience with a simple function!?  Am I missing something?  I have "Automatically advance to next photo when--tag is changed" selected...I've gone in and out of the app but no luck...is there another setting somewhere I don't have set?  Can you test this on Mac OS 10.7?  Anyone else have this prob?

When you exit the program and open it again with the same set of images, do you see your tags, or are they all missing?

-Kirk

Offline andy603

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 06:35:02 AM »
I still see tags.  (photos with a checkmark)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 09:43:22 AM »
Although I never use that feature (autoadvance), I just tested. Works alright for me - tagging in preview (by whatever method, either of the three shortcuts or by mouse) advances to the next file correctly. 5dMkII CR2, OS X 10.7.3, PM 10.6.8

Offline andy603

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 09:56:16 AM »
hmmm...thanks for testing and responding...if you dont use auto advance how to you quickly scroll through shots without multiple key strokes? 

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 10:55:01 AM »
hmmm...thanks for testing and responding...if you dont use auto advance how to you quickly scroll through shots without multiple key strokes? 

I just personally don't use auto-advance because I find it confusing jumping to a next photo :) Personally? Cursor keys, mouse scroll wheel, whatever works. And I tag only the selects, so I tag relatively few percentage out of all photos. If you use tag as means to "mark for deletion", it could be different but that seems counterintuitive to me.

BTW, you did mention that auto-advance doesn't work for you in Preview window? Because I don't believe it works (that by design, and rightly so) in Contact Sheet view. Sorry - just to get the facts straight.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 02:32:20 PM »
Hi Andy,

You are using the wrong shortcut to Tag your Preview images. The Command key is only used with the i shortcut to open the IPTC Stationary Pad, for the Preview window. Your Command + shortcut is actually just the + shortcut, which enables the Zoom tool and increases the Zoom Level.

The t shortcut key will toggle the Tag status and advance to the next if your Preview preferences are set to Advance when a Tag is changed.  I always have my Preview preference set to auto advance when the Tag is changed to prevent a key bounce when tagging, which tags and then un-tags the image. You can also click in the Tag box at the bottom right of the image and that will also auto advance to the next preview.

regards,

--Bob

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »
Like Bob wrote, since you mentioned Command +, which works only in Contact Sheet mode (where it is for tagging all selected photos unlike "t" or "." which tags only one photo), I guess you were in Contact Sheet view assuming auto advance would work there? As I wrote, I think it only works in Preview mode (and this actually makes sense). In Preview, Command + does indeed only increase zoom level, like Bob said.

Offline andy603

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 09:44:26 AM »
I'm back with more questions..thanks Bob for posting but I re-read it several times and I'm still stumped...So does PM have auto advance during live ingest without me having to intervene or not....thats what I'm after...I would simply like to have the photo that is currently being ingested appear ideally in the preview window so I can spot check for focus, show client, etc.   Capture One does this quite nicely and quickly...Lightroom does it as well but not quickly...

thanks in advance and sorry if I'm not getting what you're sayin'!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 11:30:45 AM »
I'm back with more questions..thanks Bob for posting but I re-read it several times and I'm still stumped...So does PM have auto advance during live ingest without me having to intervene or not....thats what I'm after...I would simply like to have the photo that is currently being ingested appear ideally in the preview window so I can spot check for focus, show client, etc.   Capture One does this quite nicely and quickly...Lightroom does it as well but not quickly...

thanks in advance and sorry if I'm not getting what you're sayin'!

The auto-advance feature only occurs when you make changes to the previewed photo, depending on your settings.  If you tell it to advance whey you tag a photo, it will advance the preview when you tag or un-tag it.  Same goes for ratings and color classes.  There is no auto-advance for a new photo being downloaded.

-Kirk

Offline andy603

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »
thanks for the quick reply....thats too bad...Adobe LR, Aperture as well as Capture One all have this feature and its critical to my workflow..I was hoping to find a product that did this...I really liked the speed of your product and the price but too bad.... Might I suggest you consider this...I can't imagine it being difficult to trigger a 'next' photo option once the previous photo is ingested.... thanks