Author Topic: Corrupted NEF files after tagging with PM  (Read 3337 times)

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
Corrupted NEF files after tagging with PM
« on: April 06, 2012, 01:16:18 PM »
Hi,
I just was browsing through a shoot on a CF card with PM 4.6.8 on Mac OS 10.6.8. I tagged the shots (using the T key) that I wanted to copy to my MacBook Pro. A renaming operation was chosen too. After half the transfer the copy process stopped telling me that there were errors during that operation. I looked at the files in the finder and those files that didn't make the transfer showed a different icon than those I did not tag. Files size was indicated with 0kb. I tried the same operation with a different card reader and machine (Mac OS 10.7.2) but with the same result. The copy process suddenly stops and all manual tries have no avail. The files are Nikon NEF from a D3s.
How can I rescue those files?
Urgent help needed.
Thanks,
HM

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Corrupted NEF files after tagging with PM
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »
Aarggh, looks like you corrupted the images on your card >:(

You could try copying the files over, manually, using the Finder and see if that works. If that doesn't work, you may be able to recover your images by using card recovery software.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Hayo

P.S. As Kirk and others always tell you: NEVER EVER work on files on your card directly, but first copy them to your computer. I'm afraid you found out the hard way why this is :(
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 03:02:44 PM »
And since this is such an easy problem to encounter, in PM5 you won't be able to modify the contents of the card.  The soft-edits will be retained in memory such that a later copy operation will realize the soft-edits at the destination.

The work isn't complete yet, but we expect it to make it into the initial PM5 release.

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »
OK Sirs, thanks for the input. Learned my lesson well!
HM