Author Topic: PM and Aperture 1.5  (Read 6672 times)

Karen Buckland

PM and Aperture 1.5
« on: October 16, 2006, 11:42:05 AM »
I'm a long-time Photo Mechanic user, but I'm new to Aperture (using V1.5).

I realize my problem is most likely an Aperture problem, but I wondered if there is a certain setting I should be using in the PM IPTC preferences to prevent this.

The problem:
I imported some photos that had IPTC data added in Photo Mechanic. The thumbnails for the imported files are very small in Aperture (288x192 pixels). Even when I send the file from Aperture to an external editor (PhotoShop) the file is sent as a small image. For example, a Canon 1Ds raw file is sent to PhotoShop as a 288x192 pixel image!

Imported photos without IPTC data added with Photo Mechanic do not have this problem.

If I process the problem raw file through Adobe's DNG converter and then reimport the image, the the thumbnail looks as it should and transfers to external editor fine. However, the IPTC data no longer shows up in Aperture (although I can see it is still there if I look at the file with Bridge or Photo Mechanic). I can live without the metadata showing up, but here's another catch:

Once the DNG file is in Aperture, if I quit Aperture and then edit the metadata in Photo Mechanic again, the little thumbnail problem is back when I restart Aperture.

Any suggestions? I've posted on the Aperture forum and haven't received any help there yet.

Thanks,
Karen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM and Aperture 1.5
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »
Karen,

I'm a long-time Photo Mechanic user, but I'm new to Aperture (using V1.5).

I realize my problem is most likely an Aperture problem, but I wondered if there is a certain setting I should be using in the PM IPTC preferences to prevent this.

The problem:
I imported some photos that had IPTC data added in Photo Mechanic. The thumbnails for the imported files are very small in Aperture (288x192 pixels). Even when I send the file from Aperture to an external editor (PhotoShop) the file is sent as a small image. For example, a Canon 1Ds raw file is sent to PhotoShop as a 288x192 pixel image!

That's the exact size of the thumbnail inside the 1Ds TIF file.  Aperture, (actually ImageIO which Aperture uses to render RAW files) has a fairly naive parser for some file formats.  Files that have been modified at all render ImageIO useless with some files.  We have filed numerous bug reports with Apple on this issue and only a small portion have been addressed.  When Aperture exports a file for editing, it creates a new file and in this case this new file has lost all of the RAW data.  It is no longer present due in part to this bug.

Quote from: Karen Buckland
Imported photos without IPTC data added with Photo Mechanic do not have this problem.

That's because those files pass right through their naive parser.

If I process the problem raw file through Adobe's DNG converter and then reimport the image, the the thumbnail looks as it should and transfers to external editor fine. However, the IPTC data no longer shows up in Aperture (although I can see it is still there if I look at the file with Bridge or Photo Mechanic). I can live without the metadata showing up, but here's another catch:

Once the DNG file is in Aperture, if I quit Aperture and then edit the metadata in Photo Mechanic again, the little thumbnail problem is back when I restart Aperture.

Once again their naive parser gets tripped up by simple modifications to the file.  We'll have to file a bug on their DNG parser too!

Any suggestions? I've posted on the Aperture forum and haven't received any help there yet.

I'd suggest going to an XMP sidecar workflow, but it won't help you much with Aperture (other than solving their rendering issues) since Aperture will not yet import metadata from XMP sidecar files.  Your metadata will still be missing.  But your files will at least render and export properly in Aperture.

If you'd like, I can explain the settings you need to change inside Photo Mechanic to switch to an XMP sidecar workflow.  Your metadata will continue to show up inside Photoshop and Bridge.

-Kirk

Karen Buckland

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 01:10:25 PM »
Thanks, Kirk, for the thorough explaination. I have filed a feedback report with Apple so they are aware of the problem.

I would appreciate the explaination of the XMP Sidecar workflow settings, when you get a chance.
It looks as if that is what I'll have to use for now.

Karen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 01:21:21 PM »
Karen,

Thanks, Kirk, for the thorough explaination. I have filed a feedback report with Apple so they are aware of the problem.

We'll file a bug on the DNG file issue with them as well.

I would appreciate the explaination of the XMP Sidecar workflow settings, when you get a chance.
It looks as if that is what I'll have to use for now.

Open the Preferences dialog.  Click on the IPTC/XMP tab.  Under the section titled "When writing IPTC/XMP:", look below and find the section titled "For TIFF-based RAW photos:".  Uncheck the two checkboxes, titled: "Add embedded IPTC" and "Add embedded IPTC4XMP".  The popup menu will automatically change to the proper setting.

Note that if you have files with embedded IPTC/XMP, Photo Mechanic will continue to update it since the data is present and would be stale otherwise.  You can overcome this by reverting your RAW files to their original state.  Select the files you want to revert, then on the Tools menu, choose "Revert TIFF-based RAW to original".  Make sure you check the checkbox that says "Backup IPTC/XMP to XMP sidecar files" and you won't lose any metadata at all.

Hopefully Apple will fix their parser bugs and support XMP import so people can work with multiple applications seamlessly.

HTH,

-Kirk

Karen Buckland

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 02:21:24 PM »
Perfect! Thanks for the workaround.

Karen

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Photographer Karsten Weirup
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 12:14:49 PM »
Hi, does anyone know if Apple has fixed the numerous bugs you were talking about. The missing IPTC data, the missing RAW data, the problems with XMP import?
I see they are now on a 1.5.1 version!

Best Karsten

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 01:08:14 PM »
Karsten,

Hi, does anyone know if Apple has fixed the numerous bugs you were talking about. The missing IPTC data, the missing RAW data, the problems with XMP import?
I see they are now on a 1.5.1 version!

To the best of my knowledge, Aperture still does not support the import of XMP data into Aperture.  XMP is an output only feature.

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 11:15:07 AM »
aperture update 1.5.2 was released today. does it fix any of these problems mentioned above? has anyone tried yet?