Author Topic: Color class lost after edit  (Read 4774 times)

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
Color class lost after edit
« on: October 17, 2006, 12:56:33 PM »
Hi there,

I lost the asigned color class after I edited the RAW with Nikon Capture and replaced the jpeg.
Steps:
- picked a photo with color class "Typical alt" and chose "edit photo with" Nikon Capture
- edited the RAW and saved it as jpeg to replace the existing jpeg in the same folder
- neither RAW nor jpeg kept their color class
I would understand this with the replaced jpeg but not with the RAW which was untouched.
The photos looked very similar so it was hard to see which might have had the color class previously.
Any suggestions for a secure workflow to keep the color classes?

Thanks,
HM

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Color class lost after edit
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 01:27:08 PM »
HM,

Was this Capture NX or Capture 4?

Capture NX currently has a bug where a JPEG saved from a NEF file that includes IPTC will not contain the IPTC data (even though the IPTC data shows up just fine when the NEF file is edited in NX).  If you are relying upon the color class (and tag) being preserved in the IPTC data, then NX won't work until Nikon fixed this bug.  Capture 4 seems to work just fine (although I haven't tried the latest update).

PS - if you split the RAW + JPEG pairs then the original NEF should still contain the color class unless you told Capture (or NX) to save over the original NEF (not recommended).

--dennis

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
Re: Color class lost after edit
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 01:41:55 PM »
Hi Dennis,

I used Capture 4.4.2 on Mac OS 10.3.9.
Now I split the combined view and the color class tag is still there for the NEF file.
This will help for now.
Thanks for your quick reply,
HM