Author Topic: Only 100 images ingesting out of 200+ on card  (Read 1892 times)

Offline dnurock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Only 100 images ingesting out of 200+ on card
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:40:40 PM »
I just got a Canon 7D and 8GB SanDisk Extreme CF card. 

I have three of these 8GB cards and I just got done shooting a race in Raw.  When I ingested only 100 images per card will down load and PM says I have errors on the rest, 184 on one and 192 on the other ,which I suspect are the images that are not ingesting.  I can see the images when I put the card in the camera so I know they're there. 

Please advise.
Doug Nurock

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Only 100 images ingesting out of 200+ on card
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:02:37 PM »
Doug,

Did you format the cards in the camera prior to shooting?
After shooting, did you edit on the cards with Photo Mechanic or any other application?
What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?
What OS are you running Photo Mechanic on?
Can you copy the photos successfully with the OS (Finder or Windows Explorer)?

-Kirk

Offline dnurock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »
Kirk,

All cards formatted in camera prior to shooting.  I actually run the format two or three times on each card to prep them prior to a race.
Cards went right from the camera to the Sandisk card reader, USB hub to iMac
PM V4.6.8
OS for Mac Lion V10.7.3

I just started over and re-ingested all cards, this time they went through with all images ingested, so all is good, but any idea why the original ingest limited itself to 100 images?

Thanks for the help.
Doug Nurock

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:21:15 PM »
Doug,

All cards formatted in camera prior to shooting.  I actually run the format two or three times on each card to prep them prior to a race.
Cards went right from the camera to the Sandisk card reader, USB hub to iMac
PM V4.6.8
OS for Mac Lion V10.7.3

I just started over and re-ingested all cards, this time they went through with all images ingested, so all is good, but any idea why the original ingest limited itself to 100 images?

No, other than a well known issue where Mac OS X will use the directory contents of a previous card if the previous card was unmounted unsuccessfully and then a new similar card is inserted into the same card reader.  Corruption ensues and errors will occur since the directory information is stale.  Generally if a card fails to unmount PM will report it to you in the Ingest Tasks window.

But you didn't indicate that there were any issues unmounting any of the cards.  So I have no explanation for the errors.  But basically PM depends on the OS's file system routines to read directory information and to read and write data to files.  If this is working incorrectly then Ingest errors will occur.  PM does not have any 'Image Rescue' features for reading camera cards at the disk sector level.

-Kirk