Author Topic: View all images at once on MAP? Upload KML or GPX for comparison to photos?  (Read 3558 times)

Offline swoody

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello!  Am trying to figure out if I can use Photo Mechanic for Editing and GPS purposes (using demo currently).   I need to be able to view my geo-tagged images on a map - all at the same time -  so I can see which ones belong to the same subject (I determine this by location, as these are aerials and look very similar visually). If you are familiar with Lightroom, then it would be similar to selecting all images and then viewing on the Map module, where they are all on the map together.

Once I choose my best image from the group, I then MOVE the image on the map - to match my subject 's coordinates, since the client isn't interested in where the helicopter is, they want the image geo-tagged at the subject. In order to do this, I need to upload a GPX or KMZ file, which has the subject's coordinates, so I can match them up.

So- my questions are:

1)  Can I view all images on the map at the same time, like I can in Lightroom? 

- The limitation in Lightroom is that I cannot upload a KML or GPX to their map to compare, and have to open Google Earth at the same time to view both together.

2)  Can I upload a KML or GPX file with subject waypoints and view this at the same time on the map as all of my photos? 

- Thus far, I haven't had any luck uploading GPX files at all, but then again I am not trying to plot anything, they are not from a GPS running at the same time as the photos shot, so they do not match up to photo capture times….they are just hand-made GPX files created from spreadsheets with Waypoints.

I am on Mac version 4.6.8  (running Mac OS 10.7.3)

Thanks for all suggestions!
Sara

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Sara,

Hello!  Am trying to figure out if I can use Photo Mechanic for Editing and GPS purposes (using demo currently).   I need to be able to view my geo-tagged images on a map - all at the same time -  so I can see which ones belong to the same subject (I determine this by location, as these are aerials and look very similar visually). If you are familiar with Lightroom, then it would be similar to selecting all images and then viewing on the Map module, where they are all on the map together.

Once I choose my best image from the group, I then MOVE the image on the map - to match my subject 's coordinates, since the client isn't interested in where the helicopter is, they want the image geo-tagged at the subject. In order to do this, I need to upload a GPX or KMZ file, which has the subject's coordinates, so I can match them up.

So- my questions are:

1)  Can I view all images on the map at the same time, like I can in Lightroom? 

No, but you can view them on a map that lets you browse through them one at a time.  Just right-click on a thumbnail in the Contact Sheet and choose 'Show Map' from the contextual menu that appears.  The Map window will let you move through the images one by one.

Quote from: swoody
2)  Can I upload a KML or GPX file with subject waypoints and view this at the same time on the map as all of my photos? 

- Thus far, I haven't had any luck uploading GPX files at all, but then again I am not trying to plot anything, they are not from a GPS running at the same time as the photos shot, so they do not match up to photo capture times….they are just hand-made GPX files created from spreadsheets with Waypoints.

You can import a set of GPX coordinates from a file onto a set of images with the Import GPS Coordinates dialog.  Just make sure your hand-edited coordinates have a timestamp close to the time the photos were taken and then everything should import with a minimum of fuss.

Get the full manual for Photo Mechanic and check out the GPS features starting on page 114 of the manual.

You can get the manual here:

http://www.camerabits.com/download/Photo_Mechanic_4.6.3_Manual.pdf

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline swoody

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply, Kirk!  Unfortunately, it is essential to be able to view all images at the same time on the map - one at a time just isn't an efficient way to work. 

Also, my GPX won't work, since it is not a time-stamp kind of GPX.  In other words, it is simply POIs (waypoints), much like you would mark your favorite restaurant. 

So - just a thought to add to "Features Requests" -- the ability to view all photos on the map at the same time, preferably with the name of the file, or at least a small thumbnail so you know which one you are looking at. (and a bigger map, too!). 

Thanks!  Sara

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Photographer Karsten Weirup
Yes. To be able to view all the pictures in a folder on the same map would be very nice. Thank you in advance:-)

Best Karsten