Author Topic: Rotated pix aren't rotated in Capture One  (Read 5637 times)

Offline arossphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rotated pix aren't rotated in Capture One
« on: October 16, 2006, 08:10:16 PM »
When I rotate RAW images in PM and then open the folder in Capture One, the images are not rotated.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rotated pix aren't rotated in Capture One
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 08:16:20 PM »
When I rotate RAW images in PM and then open the folder in Capture One, the images are not rotated.

To my knowledge, RAW data cannot be rotated.  All of Photo Mechanic's rotations are 'soft rotations': we just update the EXIF orientation tag and most software picks up on that and shows the file rotated as it was in Photo Mechanic.  My guess is that Capture One ignores the EXIF orientation tag.

-Kirk

Offline arossphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 03:57:19 PM »
My guess is that Capture One ignores the EXIF orientation tag.

I posted my question at the Phase forums as well, and here's a portion of the response from a Phase staff member: "Use Capture One, and you don't need any other programs." What do you think, maybe just a little bit arrogant!?!

I'm also testing Breeze Browser, iMatch, iView, Bridge, Camera Raw, etc, and all the work I do in Photo Mechanic, including rotations, is recognized by all those other apps. C1 is definitely out of the loop, and perhaps resting on their laurels.

Cheers,

Andrew
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 04:00:13 PM by arossphoto »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 05:20:28 PM »
My guess is that Capture One ignores the EXIF orientation tag.

I posted my question at the Phase forums as well, and here's a portion of the response from a Phase staff member: "Use Capture One, and you don't need any other programs." What do you think, maybe just a little bit arrogant!?!

I suppose so.  But the odd thing about this is that even if you use them and no others then your photos will still appear in the incorrect orientation because they pay no attention to the orientation tag.

Quote from: arossphoto
I'm also testing Breeze Browser, iMatch, iView, Bridge, Camera Raw, etc, and all the work I do in Photo Mechanic, including rotations, is recognized by all those other apps. C1 is definitely out of the loop, and perhaps resting on their laurels.

They have a major new version coming.  Perhaps they will fix this issue by then.

-Kirk