Author Topic: D800 image with no "zoom" button (lower right corner) of thumbnail-Contact Sheet  (Read 8173 times)

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I just returned from a trip and am going through a bunch of D800 images.  A few of these images have no "zoom" button on the Thumnail in Contact Sheet mode, and when I am in Preview mode they do not appear sharp at all, but if I edit them in NX2, for example, they are just fine.  Most of the D800 images are just fine.  No images have been edited in other applications prior to the ingest.  Any idea why a few images would have this issue?

PM 4.6.8
Windows Vista 64 bit

UPDATE:
I was just viewing an image via PM which had the button available with Zoom working.  Now the button has disappeared, and Zoom no longer works on this image.  Shutting down PM and then restarting seems to clear the issue.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:51:20 AM by retief »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Your images sound like they don't have JPEG previews in them.  When you edit them with Capture NX2 a JPEG preview is added to them and thus PM can preview them.  Check your settings on your camera.

-Kirk

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
They do have JPG previews in them.  Note my "Update" that when I shut down PM and start it back up,they are just fine.  Also note that this occurs randomly on only a few images.

What I think I have noticed, but it is hard to confirm, is that at times I can view an image with no problem, but when I go back to it, the problem occurs, in the same PM session.

The thumbnails look fine, are these not also generated from the JPG preview?

From the behavior I am seeing, sending you a NEF won't do much good I'm afraid, as the problem occurs on different files when I reopen PM.

I just did the following test:
1. The problem manifested on 2 images out of 11
2. Closed PM and restarted
3. Checked thumbnails, all showed the "Zoom" button as expected
4. Opened the 1st image as Preview
5. Used the + key to Zoom, then the - zoom to come back to 50%, worked as expected
6. Used the Right-Arrow key to move through the next 10 image
7. 2 different images now exhibit the behavior, and their thumbnails do not show the "Zoom" button.

Needless to say, this makes it very difficult to preview images with any consistency.  I will verify, this evening, that the same occurs on my laptop.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
What are your Memory Cache settings?  Higher isn't always better.  If it is above 256 MB, try lowering it to 256 MB.

-Kirk

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
On my desktop it was set at 128, so I tried setting to 256.  Preivewed the first image, hit + then - -.  Used the right arrow key to move forward.  The 11th image exhibited the problem, then the 14th, and the 21st.

Closed and restarted PM, started with a different image, the 4th image this time.  Did the + - - in Preview, the right arrow.  The 11th image displayed, 14th file in the folder this time, exhibited the problem.  Set the cachce this time to 1024, closed and restarted, the 9th image displayed the problem.

Same problem occurs on my laptop with D800 files.  On both systems, no problems with D300 files, only with the larger D800 files.  And it only appears to happen after I have done a Zoom, and then preview more images with the right arrow keys.  Very random, but happening on both systems. 

Desktop and Laptop running the same version of PM
Desktop is Vista 64 bit
Laptop is Windows 7 64 bit

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Kirk,

I've had this exact same problem with the D800.  My cache was 1024 and I have reset it to 256.  Windows 7 64 bit, PM 4.6.8.

Deven

Offline dig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk,

I have very random the same problem with 5D Mark III CRW images.
Win 7 64 bit (Laptop + desktop), PM 4.6.9 (+ older versions with older CRW files).

Regards
dig

Offline Thilo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I have the same problem  :(

PM 4.6.8 / Win 7 64bit / 16GB RAM

Only with D800 files, no problems with them out of D3, no problems on a macbook pro.

Changing cache settings doesn't help.

Regards
Thilo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
We're working on a fix.

-Kirk

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Glad to see I am not alone.  Kirk, let me know if there is any other info or help you need from me.

Thanks

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Same thing here,

Windows 7, 64 bits.

When this happens, not only do the loupe button doens' t show on the faulty thumbnails, but if you visualize the enlarged image after visualizing the previous image, the resolution of the raster data is very coarse (to a point of not recognizing the image).

In addition, a different problem is if you zoom on certain portrait-oriented images, then there is a strong distortion (the horizontal scale is much lower than the vertical scale, giving an image that is narrower that it should be and thus highly squeezed).

This happens with my D800 raw files. While the first issue is random, the second one always happen to the same photos.

I compared with View NX2 from Nikon and no such issue happened.

Regards,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Everyone,

Please try PM 4.6.9 beta 4, available in the Announcement section of the forums.  It has code to flush unimportant cached items when generating previews and should be far more reliable than earlier versions of Photo Mechanic when viewing high megapixel count images at 100%.

Further improvements to Photo Mechanic in regards to high megapixel count images will be made in PM5.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Kirk,

Will the current beta work through June 19?  I'm traveling and don't want it to expire while I'm off the net.

Deven

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Oops, I see the announcement says it is good through June 20, so I am good to go.  Thanks.

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Just downloaded the latest Beta, and it seems to have resolved the issue I was having.

Thanks.