Author Topic: Caption field with adjustable text size and preview image only  (Read 5326 times)

Offline joemahoney

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • I-News Network
I would love to see an window option where you could select the text size and which IPTC fields are visible.

Basically a full width preview image, the caption (with large text for old men...) and then a choice of four or five commonly changed fields that can be edited -- trans ref, keywords, headline, object name.

An then maybe the Save & --> , Copy, Paste buttons. 

See attached butt ugly screenshot. Thanks. - Joe

ps - hopefully this is not something already available and I'm too dense to have found it...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Caption field with adjustable text size and preview image only
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »
Joe,

I would love to see an window option where you could select the text size and which IPTC fields are visible.

Basically a full width preview image, the caption (with large text for old men...) and then a choice of four or five commonly changed fields that can be edited -- trans ref, keywords, headline, object name.

An then maybe the Save & --> , Copy, Paste buttons. 

See attached butt ugly screenshot. Thanks. - Joe

ps - hopefully this is not something already available and I'm too dense to have found it...

PM 5 will have a fully customizable IPTC Info and IPTC Stationery Pad dialog.  You'll be able to choose which fields are visible, number of rows of text (for multi-row fields) and can even rename the names of the fields as you see fit.

If you only want five fields and never want the rest, so be it!

You won't be able to choose the size of the preview, but it resizes with the size of the dialog, and you can always press the zoom key combo to see a larger preview temporarily.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:50:13 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline joemahoney

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • I-News Network
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:55:35 AM »
That sounds great and thanks for the reply, Kirk. Will the text/font size be adjustable as well? Cheers, Joe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 03:18:53 PM »
Only for the Caption field, yes.

-Kirk

Offline joemahoney

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • I-News Network
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »
Kirk,

Just briefly kicking the tires of the beta of PM 5 and wondering if there are any plans to make the caption/description field's width adjustable? I like that it can be made deeper & the larger text is great. But, I'd love to be able to see the whole caption without scrolling. This is a 99% proofreading need, not necessarily for writing per se, though that'd be helped, too.

(There is so much real estate around the Save & -> buttons begging to be reuse for wide caption box....)

Thanks much!
Joe M.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »
Joe,

Just briefly kicking the tires of the beta of PM 5 and wondering if there are any plans to make the caption/description field's width adjustable? I like that it can be made deeper & the larger text is great. But, I'd love to be able to see the whole caption without scrolling. This is a 99% proofreading need, not necessarily for writing per se, though that'd be helped, too.

(There is so much real estate around the Save & -> buttons begging to be reuse for wide caption box....)

We have no plans to make changes to the overall layout of the IPTC Info dialog.

-Kirk

Offline Micha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 07:04:17 AM »
It's a good idea to make it possible in PM 5 to deselect IPTC-fields ... but it's not such a good idea to not think about customizable or lager IPCT-fields, mainly: caption and keywords ... I am missing this very much!!!

May be it was o.k. when PM was designed, when people had monitors with 800x600 or "higher" ones with 1.024x768 resolution monitors ;-) .. but today we mostly use min. 1.600pixel monitors, many of us 1.920 or even larger ones. For me with a HD resolution display the fields are to small.

May be, you should think about it, times has changed a little bit in the past 5, 8 or 10 years?!

Nice Greetings
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:01:43 AM »
Michael,

It's a good idea to make it possible in PM 5 to deselect IPTC-fields ... but it's not such a good idea to not think about customizable or lager IPCT-fields, mainly: caption and keywords ... I am missing this very much!!!

May be it was o.k. when PM was designed, when people had monitors with 800x600 or "higher" ones with 1.024x768 resolution monitors ;-) .. but today we mostly use min. 1.600pixel monitors, many of us 1.920 or even larger ones. For me with a HD resolution display the fields are to small.

May be, you should think about it, times has changed a little bit in the past 5, 8 or 10 years?!

You can make the Caption field up to 25 lines tall.  It is positively huge then.  Does it still need to be taller that that?

-Kirk

Offline Micha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »
... this sounds good for the caption field, Kirk! ... unfortunately I can not test it because I removed the PM 5 beta due to the Portrait/landscape problem with photos which are edited in Capture NX 2 ... have to wait until a more stable release ;-)

Nice Greetings
Michael