Author Topic: Side Car files  (Read 6081 times)

Offline HvTFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Side Car files
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
I'm confused as to whether use of not to use side car files. I'm on Mac and my workflow is as follows: Raw conversion and basic editing in Capture NX2, retouch and "advanced" editing i PS6 (if required, i.e. not all files are sent to PS6). I use LR 3/4 for creating and uploading web galleries. I previously didn't use side car files but I was stupid enough to test a (inferior) competitor to PM and ran into serious trouble and my files couldn't be read/opened in CX2 and/or PS6. The problem was solved by ingesting the files in PM and started to use side car files. Have no clue what actually happened or what made the files unreadable. I have no intention to test any other programs or any key wording until I can get my hands on the anticipated PM catalogue. Can I safely delete the side car files that's now on my computer or shall I keep them and continue using side car files?

Regards

Hans

Offline Sysyphus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Side Car files
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:31:54 PM »
I despise sidecar files. Its only because I find it "untidy" to have two files required for one image.
However I do have sidecars as I use Lightroom for my catalog needs. I don't like it but I don't sweat it.
I save my "final" image as a Tiff, however I never delete the RAW file. Because you never know.

So what I'm saying is don't sweat the sidecars, they don't take up that much space. But never ever delete the RAW files.
Oh yeah, keyword both.

I know this isn't much help, but I thought I'd give an opinion since its free :)

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 04:56:15 AM »
Hi,
I'm not a expert in metadata, but as far as I know you should keep your sidecar files along with your raw files. It is easy to keep them all in a folder called Originals, divided in subfolders by date (this is done when ingesting files).
I think it is mandatory to use sidecar files when using Adobe products (PS, Lightroom, etc).
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »
I'm with Sysyphus on sidecar files; however, they are a necessary evil when using Adobe apps (or you can use DNG, but I'm not a fan of those either, or TIFF).  Since I shoot primarily Nikon, and I mainly adjust images (lighten, darken, contrast, that sort of thing) rather than do major edits, I can avoid sidecar files most of the time.  Regardless of what I use for adjustments, I keep metadata embeded in the image files rather than sidecar files. 

I think this is really a personal preference: sidecar or no sidecar files.  Certainly Adobe apps are the defacto standard for editing images and it's sidecar files, DNG or big Tiff files if you go that route and lots of people do.

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 02:30:10 AM »
It is not mandatory to use sidecar files in PS or in LR.  You can elect to have the information stored in a separate database.  The Adobe software keeps the information linked to the right file.  The problem with that is that if you export the files to another computer you need to take extra steps to ensure that the information in the database goes with the files.

Offline HvTFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
hans@hvtfoto.se
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 03:36:59 AM »
Thanks to all of you that have commented. As they do no harm I'll keep the files and continue using sidecar files.

//hans

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:01:52 PM »
It is not mandatory to use sidecar files in PS or in LR.  You can elect to have the information stored in a separate database.  The Adobe software keeps the information linked to the right file.  The problem with that is that if you export the files to another computer you need to take extra steps to ensure that the information in the database goes with the files.

True, but then the metadata is not attached to an image other than through the database.  If the image,  gets moved outside PS or LR, I don't believe the data goes with it from the database. Also, should the datbase get corrupted, there is no metadata for the image. That's why I prefer embedding the metadata into the image file.  They can't get separated.

As I said, it's largely a personal preference and what works in your particular workflow.

Offline HvTFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
Woodie, how do you "direct" your meta date to go into the image file instead of the sidecar files if you use sidecar files (i.e. how do I know that my metadata isn't stored in the sidecar files instead of the image files)?

//Hans

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 11:16:42 PM »
Woodie, how do you "direct" your meta date to go into the image file instead of the sidecar files if you use sidecar files (i.e. how do I know that my metadata isn't stored in the sidecar files instead of the image files)?

Hi Hans, when you use PM to do your meta data editing, you can direct it to embed it into the file (as well as update the sidcar file synchronously).

Does this answer your question?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline HvTFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 03:16:53 PM »
Hayo Baan,

Thanks, I think it does.

//Hans