Author Topic: Center zoom on cursor position when entered  (Read 10627 times)

Offline RogerMc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Center zoom on cursor position when entered
« on: October 18, 2006, 07:55:49 PM »
Often times when reviewing my images I go in/out of zoom mode.  Sometimes it takes a good deal of panning to find my subject.  Would it be possible to center the zoom on the cursor position within the image when I type the Z key?  This would be very helpful to me.  Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Center zoom on cursor position when entered
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 08:57:02 PM »
Often times when reviewing my images I go in/out of zoom mode.  Sometimes it takes a good deal of panning to find my subject.  Would it be possible to center the zoom on the cursor position within the image when I type the Z key?  This would be very helpful to me.  Thanks!

No, but if you hold down the Control key (on Windows) or the Command key (on Mac) then click on the area you want to zoom then it will zoom right in to the location you clicked on.

Please get the manual available in the announcements section of the forums.  It explains all this and more.

HTH,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 04:54:50 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline RogerMc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 08:07:09 AM »
Kirk

Command clicking on a image as opposed to just moving the cursor and pressing Z may not seem like much additional work, but for the thousands of images I go through it is quite significant. 

Imagine just sitting at the computer moving the mouse around and toggling Z.
Now imagine moving the mouse around and hunting for the command key and click pad and Z key instead.

A customer-focused company might reconsider quickly stating such an emphatic No!

Roger

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 08:24:57 AM »
Roger,

Command clicking on a image as opposed to just moving the cursor and pressing Z may not seem like much additional work, but for the thousands of images I go through it is quite significant. 

Imagine just sitting at the computer moving the mouse around and toggling Z.
Now imagine moving the mouse around and hunting for the command key and click pad and Z key instead.

A customer-focused company might reconsider quickly stating such an emphatic No!

The 'no' was not 'emphatic'.  I am telling you that there is already a solution to your problem that will not require you to have to wait months for a solution in a new release.

You are telling me that you want to move the mouse to the area you want to zoom into already.  You are telling me that you want to press a key, and in this case you want to press the 'Z' key.

I am telling you that instead of pressing the 'Z' key and not clicking you just hold the Command key down and click.  The Command key is less than an inch away from the 'Z' key on most keyboards so I am sure you won't have to hunt for it, and moreover, when you want to exit zoom mode all you have to do is click again while you still have the Command key down.

Try it.  It is really effective and easy.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 04:45:23 PM »
...for windows,
I was trying to zoom by shift-clicking to no avail, then tried Ctrl-click and the zoom worked.
I really like this feature.
n

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 04:56:22 PM »
...for windows,
I was trying to zoom by shift-clicking to no avail, then tried Ctrl-click and the zoom worked.
I really like this feature.

Oops.  Thanks.  I have edited my above post to include the correct Control-click explanation so others won't be led astray...

-Kirk

Offline glyons

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 09:46:40 AM »
I would just like to respond to a comment above about the "customer-focused" nature of Camerabits.  About two years ago I sent an email to the CBits folks about a suggestion.  Not long after that several of the ideas I had were in the newest release of PM.  I am sure I can't take credit for those changes alone but I did receive an email from CBits thanking me for the suggestion.  In my experience the folks at CBits are nothing but "customer-focused".  I am not aware of many other software developers who openly ask for suggestions the way CBits does, much less engage in dialogue with the kind of personal response they give.
  Thanks to Kirk and all the others at CBits.

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 09:52:03 AM »

No, but if you hold down the Control key (on Windows) or the Command key (on Mac) then click on the area you want to zoom then it will zoom right in to the location you clicked on.

Please get the manual available in the announcements section of the forums.  It explains all this and more.

HTH,

-Kirk
Is there any way to make this behaviour an optional default in the preferences?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 03:06:25 PM »
Is there any way to make this behaviour an optional default in the preferences?

Do you mean to make it so that you don't have to hold the Command or Ctrl key when clicking to toggle the zoom?

Go to Preferences -> Preview -> check the box for "Single clicks toggle Zoom when no tool is active"