Author Topic: D2x Serial Number Issue / PM 4.4.3.3  (Read 19532 times)

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: D2x Serial Number Issue / PM 4.4.3.3
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 04:52:02 PM »
I've uploaded samples generated by the camera that just came back from service.  The serial number does not appear in the EXIF for the NEF or JPG files.

Well, sounds like Nikon did you a dis-service somehow because you are correct, the serial number doesn't show up in these files.

Are these files straight from the camera without any other software touching them (i.e. mount card in card reader, copy to computer, FTP)?

What about your other camera that you upgraded to v2.00 manually?

Maybe you can try re-installing the v2.00 firmware on this camera (if it will allow this) and see if that fixes the serial number.

I'm baffled...  Perhaps it is time to ask Nikon.  I'll see them on Saturday for the NPPA FSC in Fullerton and maybe they will have a clue.  I'll also be able to get some sample files from other cameras to get some kind of consensus.

--dennis

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: D2x Serial Number Issue / PM 4.4.3.3
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 08:22:17 AM »
The samples I uploaded yesterday were straight out of the camera.  I mounted the card in a USB card reader, and then transmitted to Camerabits via FTP reading directly from the card.

If you'd like, I can upload images generated by the camera I upgraded myself.  It does include the serial number.

Since I can't risk disabling the camera without the serial number during football season, I'd prefer to let you speak with Nikon on Saturday rather than trying to re-install the firmware.  I suspect that Nikon just forgot to re-install the serial number when it serviced the camera, but it is frustrating to have Nikon's support claiming that the camera doesn't do what we know it does.

Thanks.
--Sam