Author Topic: Transfering settings  (Read 5656 times)

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Transfering settings
« on: October 18, 2006, 09:41:14 PM »
Is it possible to save ALL of the PM settings including Keywords, Preferences, etc.  and load those settings onto a new machine or do I have to set up PM from scratch?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Transfering settings
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 10:39:48 PM »
Is it possible to save ALL of the PM settings including Keywords, Preferences, etc.  and load those settings onto a new machine or do I have to set up PM from scratch?

It depends upon the answers to the following two questions:

What OS are you running?  What OS is the destination computer running?

-Kirk

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 10:43:31 AM »
Currently running Mac OS X 10.4.8 PPC chip.  Moving to the same operating system with the PC chip.  I have so many settings for various clients, the ability of upgrading computers without starting from scratch would be invaluable.  I am also running on PC for heavy ingest needs such as the Golden Globes, Academy Awards, and Miss Universe.  Is it possilbe to save the preferences cross platform?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 01:51:57 PM »
Currently running Mac OS X 10.4.8 PPC chip.  Moving to the same operating system with the PC chip.  I have so many settings for various clients, the ability of upgrading computers without starting from scratch would be invaluable.  I am also running on PC for heavy ingest needs such as the Golden Globes, Academy Awards, and Miss Universe.  Is it possilbe to save the preferences cross platform?

Going from Mac to Mac is pretty easy.  The majority of the settings are in a file titled "com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist" which can be found in your home directory under Library/Preferences.  The snapshot settings are in a folder titled "com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic" which should be sitting near the preferences file.  Copying all of that to another user/computer should transfer nearly all of your settings.

Transferring between a Mac and a Windows system is really not realistically possible.  There are some settings that you can export and import between the two via their respective Preferences dialogs, but they are not the majority of settings.

HTH,

-Kirk