Author Topic: Photo Mechanic 5 and Retina resolution  (Read 22625 times)

Offline andycollings

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic 5 and Retina resolution
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:02:15 AM »
I'm a huge fan and user of Photo Mechanic. I'm wondering about the upcoming version 5 and if it will support the new apple retina display?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic 5 and Retina resolution
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »
Andy,

Not initially.  We've got one of the new laptops on order and will address any issues with it as soon as we can.

PM 4.6.x will not be updated for the new display resolution.

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:24:58 AM »
Kirk,
Can you talk a little more about what it means for an application to be updated for the Retina resolution?  I'm not talking about the programming, I'm talking more about the user experience.  For example from our perspective as Photo Mechanic users, what will be the main differences when comparing PM5 before and after you make enhancements for the Retina display.

I'm seriously considering handing down my fairly new MBP to my son so I can get one of these new machines.  But, I'm concerned about the usability of applications that have not yet been updated for the higher resolution Retina displays.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 06:34:34 AM »
Digi Lloyd goes into it in some depth....
This is as much a sales pitch site as a blog however his data is always interesting...
http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2012/20120620_4-MacBookPro-Retina-Photoshop.html
Marc
Marc

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 04:57:33 AM »
Hi,
I think the retina display MacBook is a real step-up in technological progress; but I consider it way too expensive compared to the "normal" one.
I personally think it wil take some time before photographers adopt it...
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline imagetic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • willduncan.com
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »
Any update here?  I was debating getting one of my employees a MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display, but she spends a majority of her day in Photo Mechanic and I don't want to interrupt her experience / workflow if the UI degrades heavily.

Does anyone have screenshots of PM on a Retina display?
www.willduncan.com

Model: iMac (18,3 - Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor: 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 64GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Offline tomjamieson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:30:23 AM »
Any news on an update?

I use Photomechanic daily and am currently having huge problems having recently bought a Macbook Pro Retina. I really don't want to have to move to a different programme, however I am having real problems as the programme is not updated for use on the new Macs. Any news happily welcomed!

Tom

Offline tomjamieson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 05:31:47 AM »
Any update here?  I was debating getting one of my employees a MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display, but she spends a majority of her day in Photo Mechanic and I don't want to interrupt her experience / workflow if the UI degrades heavily.

It is currently unusable on the new macs. You can't tell if an image is sharp or not due to the aliasing on all images. Adding to that, the interface has jagged edges.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:16:16 AM »

It is currently unusable on the new macs. You can't tell if an image is sharp or not due to the aliasing on all images. Adding to that, the interface has jagged edges.

I have a Retina display MacBookPro and I do not find it hard to judge sharpness at all.  I only see the 'jaggies' if I move my head very close to the screen.

If we do make the image pixels be one to one with the display, the memory usage for the images will increase by 300%.  Photo Mechanic will use 3x more memory and it will take longer to generate the images.  At the very least this will have to be a user preference because many won't want the memory usage increase or the speed decrease.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 05:31:23 PM »
Kirk,
I totally agree with it being a user preference.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 02:25:01 PM »
Retina is spreading (I don't know how fast but in photo industry probably faster then elsewhere) so it may be a good idea to support it - making it an option seems also a good idea to be easy to turn on/off.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 05:29:15 AM »
Now that Apple introduced the 13" Retina MacBook Pro I started to think about getting one myself....so I support even stronger to make PM to support Retina as an option.
,-)))
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »
I agree with Szurkebarat...it is getting cheaper and probably deserves PM to include this option in the near future.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »
I now have a Retina-display-optimized version that has completed development.  I need testers who can work with me privately.  If you want to test the new version and you have a Retina display MacBookPro then send me a personal message and I'll get a build out to you.  Please do not contact me if you don't have a Retina display equipped system to test on.

Thanks,

-Kirk

P.S. It is only the previews and thumbnails that are optimized.  No UI bitmaps have been updated yet, so some of the toolbar elements, hover buttons, etc. are still low resolution but that will change when we have new artwork in place.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:05:25 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »
I now have a Retina-display-optimized version that has completed development.  I need testers who can work with me privately.  If you want to test the new version and you have a Retina display MacBookPro then send me a personal message and I'll get a build out to you.  Please do not contact me if you don't have a Retina display equipped system to test on.

Thanks,

-Kirk

P.S. It is only the previews and thumbnails that are optimized.  No UI bitmaps have been updated yet, so some of the toolbar elements, hover buttons, etc. are still low resolution but that will change when we have new artwork in place.

My 13" Retina MBP purchase is in progress. I will contact you once I have it.
Allways shooting RAW.