Author Topic: losing captions  (Read 5977 times)

Offline cross74

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
losing captions
« on: October 18, 2006, 08:47:11 AM »
In PM (PM 4.3.3, MAC OS 10.4.8, Photoshop CS, Firewire CR) I add the IPTC to the images when ingesting.  Once sorted, I edit in PS CS and save to a new file.  I open the new file as a contact sheet and click the "i" to open the IPTC Info for each image.  The caption info from the ingestion process usually reads "XXXX during such and such event at this stadium, October 14, 2006."  I click the XXX's and type in the text for the image.

This is where I have done two things to save the captions.  One I can click ok then move to the next image or I have tried clicking the "save & -->" button.

Both sets of circumstances have left me with images, once given to the editor via ftp with no captions. Am I doing something wrong?

I hope this makes sense.  I need help on this ASAP, as I have a weekend assignment coming up.

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:48:59 AM by cross74 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: losing captions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 10:33:13 AM »
In PM (PM 4.3.3, MAC OS 10.4.8, Photoshop CS, Firewire CR) I add the IPTC to the images when ingesting.  Once sorted, I edit in PS CS and save to a new file.  I open the new file as a contact sheet and click the "i" to open the IPTC Info for each image.  The caption info from the ingestion process usually reads "XXXX during such and such event at this stadium, October 14, 2006."  I click the XXX's and type in the text for the image.

This is where I have done two things to save the captions.  One I can click ok then move to the next image or I have tried clicking the "save & -->" button.

Both sets of circumstances have left me with images, once given to the editor via ftp with no captions. Am I doing something wrong?

I hope this makes sense.  I need help on this ASAP, as I have a weekend assignment coming up.

Thanks guys.

What kind of images are they, and how are you transmitting them to your editor?  With Photo Mechanic's FTP As, or some other application? 

What software does your editor use to view the captions?

-Kirk

Offline cross74

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 01:13:22 PM »
I use Transmit to ftp the images to the editor. Editor uses Fotostation with batching done with Photoshop. He has noticed that when first viewed in FS the captions don't appear but after batching in PS they do appear but not all of them. I missed three in the last batch of images that went up out of roughly 13 images. I have noticed it myself when they call back with the image numbers and I check them to see if the captions are present and they are missing.  I know I have saved them . Both of the ways described in the first post.

Baffled.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 02:25:31 PM »
I use Transmit to ftp the images to the editor. Editor uses Fotostation with batching done with Photoshop. He has noticed that when first viewed in FS the captions don't appear but after batching in PS they do appear but not all of them. I missed three in the last batch of images that went up out of roughly 13 images. I have noticed it myself when they call back with the image numbers and I check them to see if the captions are present and they are missing.  I know I have saved them . Both of the ways described in the first post.

I'm getting kind of confused by your statements, but here is my best guess at what is going on and I'm also going to ask for some clarification.

If the captions are truly missing, meaning you don't see them in PM and you don't see them in Photoshop CS on *your* system then the problem is on your end somewhere in your workflow with those specific images.  On the other hand, if your editor can take an image and the captions show up in Photoshop on *his* system but don't show up in Fotostation, then the problem likely lies in Fotostation.

Please note that unless you do a Save As... from Photoshop with your original image your EXIF info and your IPTC/XMP info will definitely be lost.  Usually the way this happens is that you select the entire image in Photoshop, copy to clipboard, create a new window and paste, then you save.  The result is that all metadata is lost.

So to clarify, do you have images on your system that are missing their captions?  If so, I'd like to see them.  You can upload a sample or two to our server.  Contact me privately for upload information.

I'll do my best to get you up and running before your weekend assignment.

-Kirk

Offline cross74

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 08:05:59 PM »
Kirk,
Thanks for the response.  I caption the images after all post production work has been completed (in PM).  I have saved the IPTC info both ways described above and when I go back to view the IPTC info after saving, some are missing.  I re-add the captions saving them again. I have done this up to three times for the same image.  After re-checking before I FTP to the editor, I get calls back that some are still missing the captions. After their whole process of batching and viewing.  So I may have problems on both ends.   

I re-checked the images I had problems with, just now in PM and all the IPTC info is in the right places.  I am shooting tomorrow and will try to duplicate the process and can send any images that lose captions during the process.  Will contact you privately.

Sorry for the confusing posts.  I am not the best at describing the process.

J

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 09:03:32 PM »
J,

Thanks for the response.  I caption the images after all post production work has been completed (in PM).  I have saved the IPTC info both ways described above and when I go back to view the IPTC info after saving, some are missing.  I re-add the captions saving them again. I have done this up to three times for the same image.  After re-checking before I FTP to the editor, I get calls back that some are still missing the captions. After their whole process of batching and viewing.  So I may have problems on both ends.   

I re-checked the images I had problems with, just now in PM and all the IPTC info is in the right places.  I am shooting tomorrow and will try to duplicate the process and can send any images that lose captions during the process.  Will contact you privately.

Here is what I think may be going on at your end: You said that you had been using the Save & -> button.  Is it possible that you may have inadvertently clicked on the -> button?  If so, then the save is skipped.

Anyhow, if you do have the issue come up again, I would be happy to look at your images.

-Kirk