Author Topic: importing text files to fill IPTC fields in image files  (Read 5065 times)

Offline daveJDSP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
importing text files to fill IPTC fields in image files
« on: October 19, 2006, 12:02:41 AM »
I am afraid that I am missing something. I have found how to export the IPTC data from image files to text files (this is helpful to add records to my custom database), but how do I do the reverse?

I am about to start a workflow where I outsource some of my keywording. The keyworder sends me text files (of the same names as my image files) that I then batch merge with my image files. I have been looking for software that can do this, and ImageInfoToolkit is the only one I have found so far. But I prefer Photo Mechanic for many other reasons and I would rather buy it (and standardize on it) if possible.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: importing text files to fill IPTC fields in image files
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 07:21:37 AM »
I am afraid that I am missing something. I have found how to export the IPTC data from image files to text files (this is helpful to add records to my custom database), but how do I do the reverse?

I am about to start a workflow where I outsource some of my keywording. The keyworder sends me text files (of the same names as my image files) that I then batch merge with my image files. I have been looking for software that can do this, and ImageInfoToolkit is the only one I have found so far. But I prefer Photo Mechanic for many other reasons and I would rather buy it (and standardize on it) if possible.

While Photo Mechanic does not have an import feature like you describe, this could be easily done (well, easily for a programmer) with ExifTool which is free.  See this thread for details.

If you need more help, let me know.

-Kirk

Offline daveJDSP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: importing text files to fill IPTC fields in image files
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 09:29:13 AM »
Kirk,
Thanks for quick reply and the information on ExifTool. This is something that is way beyond me, so I guess I'll have to find a programmer to write a utility for me that reads & writes IPTC data back and forth between my image files and my custom MSAccess database.
Dave