Author Topic: Address Book Groups in Mac OS X  (Read 4466 times)

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
Address Book Groups in Mac OS X
« on: October 19, 2006, 05:26:40 AM »
PhotoMechanic recognises by Address Book groups which makes it very easy for me to send an image by email to multiple addresses. I have pre-defined groups for various jobs. These show up at the top of the list in the pop-up address menu when I choose send by email.

However, when they go into Mail all the email addresses are listed individually, not as a group. In Mail's composing preference panel I have 'When sending to a group, show all member addresses' un-ticked. This means I, and the recipients, just see the name of the group and not all the email addresses that make up the group. Is there a way to make PM keep the group together instead of the individual addresses, and if not can this be a feature request for a future update?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Address Book Groups in Mac OS X
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 06:28:59 AM »
PhotoMechanic recognises by Address Book groups which makes it very easy for me to send an image by email to multiple addresses. I have pre-defined groups for various jobs. These show up at the top of the list in the pop-up address menu when I choose send by email.

However, when they go into Mail all the email addresses are listed individually, not as a group. In Mail's composing preference panel I have 'When sending to a group, show all member addresses' un-ticked. This means I, and the recipients, just see the name of the group and not all the email addresses that make up the group. Is there a way to make PM keep the group together instead of the individual addresses, and if not can this be a feature request for a future update?

Because the mechanism is AppleScript-based, I have limited control over what I can tell the email clients to do.  So in the case of <groups>, I have to look them up and expand them into individual email addresses so that I can use AppleScript to specify To: Cc: and Bcc: fields.

I'll look and see if any of the newer versions of the apps have the vocabulary to specify groups, but if they don't add such a thing then there's not much that can be done.

You can defer setting any To:, Cc:, Bcc: settings until you get into your email client and do it there, but that is tiresome when you're doing a batch.

-Kirk