Author Topic: Dumb question: does 'E' to edit work in preview mode?  (Read 2676 times)

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Dumb question: does 'E' to edit work in preview mode?
« on: June 25, 2012, 07:30:18 AM »
Hi all,

I had to reinstall Photo Mechanic fresh when my old hard drive died, so I forgot a few of my set-up tweaks. I'm on 4.6.8 4.6.9 on Mac OS 10.7.4. I seem to remember being able to hit E to edit an image when I was in preview mode (i.e., when you tap space bar from the contact sheet), but it only seems to work in the contact sheet. Is there a setting I've missed or do I just mis-remember?

Cheers,
Owen
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:36:54 AM by owen-b »

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb question: does 'E' to edit work in preview mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 07:33:35 AM »
Hi Owen!

Works fine for me out of the preview and the contact sheet (on a mac).
As its works from the contact sheet I assume that you have set the application to open in the preferences of PM?

BR
Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:17:40 AM »
Hi Sven,

Yep, in the Launching preferences I have NEFs set to Capture NX 2 and JPGs and PSDs set to PS CS4, and the rest is left at Default Editor.

Okay, so my memory isn't playing tricks, it definitely used to do this. I've just had another look at that Preview screen and I see the Edit button up top - normally I never use any of these buttons so I'm not familiar with them. I clicked it and it worked as expected. Tried doing the same thing with the E key (hovering over the button also reveals the shortcut, so it should work). Doesn't work.

I don't think I've done or installed anything different with my new hard drive than I had on my old hard drive, and the E key works in the Contact Sheet.

What could be going on here?

Cheers in advance for any suggestions,
Owen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 06:41:28 AM »
Owen,

Yep, in the Launching preferences I have NEFs set to Capture NX 2 and JPGs and PSDs set to PS CS4, and the rest is left at Default Editor.

Okay, so my memory isn't playing tricks, it definitely used to do this. I've just had another look at that Preview screen and I see the Edit button up top - normally I never use any of these buttons so I'm not familiar with them. I clicked it and it worked as expected. Tried doing the same thing with the E key (hovering over the button also reveals the shortcut, so it should work). Doesn't work.

I don't think I've done or installed anything different with my new hard drive than I had on my old hard drive, and the E key works in the Contact Sheet.

That's really odd.  The 'e' key should be calling the same code to launch the file as the toolbar button calls.  What happens if you right-click on the photo in the Preview and choose one of the edit options?  Does that work?

-Kirk

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 06:45:57 AM »
Okay, I think I solved it but I'm not sure how.

While I had set the particular editing applications for NEF, JPG and PSD, I hadn't set the more general 'Default application to edit photos' setting just above; it was still on 'Let the Finder open files'.

I set that to PS CS4 and tried again and now E to edit opened in the correct application no matter if NEF or JPG.

The weird bit is, I tried switching that setting back to 'Let the Finder open files' expecting it E to stop working, but it didn't; it still works in Preview and Contact Sheet.

I definitely wasn't hitting the wrong key, I promise! ;)

Kirk, just noticed your reply. Yep, I tried editing from the right-click and that worked.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:48:21 AM »
OFFtopic

I definitely wasn't hitting the wrong key, I promise! ;)

switched keyboard layout in between? ;)
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 06:49:44 AM »
Honestly, genuinely, definitely not! Don't even have different layouts! :D

Very odd. But working now so... great!