Author Topic: Multi-criteria search and auto refresh  (Read 10648 times)

Offline srtemple

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Multi-criteria search and auto refresh
« on: October 19, 2006, 08:23:33 AM »
We use PM daily in our studio and thousands of photos go through it monthly, thanks for a great product! I have two feature requests.

1. Multi-criteria searching ability like the OSX Finder. You have adopted Spotlight which is great, but I would like to see the ability to have more search criteria.

2. We often shoot our Nikon D2x wirelessly into a laptop and use PM to look at the jpgs as they come in. The problem is we have to constantly switch between the Finder and PM to see incoming images. Perhaps there could be a checkbox to turn this feature on and off as well.

Thanks,
Steve Temple
Michael Lichter Photography, LLC
www.lichterphoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Multi-criteria search and auto refresh
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 08:29:00 AM »
We use PM daily in our studio and thousands of photos go through it monthly, thanks for a great product! I have two feature requests.

1. Multi-criteria searching ability like the OSX Finder. You have adopted Spotlight which is great, but I would like to see the ability to have more search criteria.

It's already there.  You just need to use the Search command instead of the Quick Search toolbar item.  You can add lots of user-friendly criteria to your searches, and you can even save searches as Favorites which you can then double-click to execute the search.  Really useful for seeing the photos shot in the last week, month, or year, etc.

Quote from: srtemple
2. We often shoot our Nikon D2x wirelessly into a laptop and use PM to look at the jpgs as they come in. The problem is we have to constantly switch between the Finder and PM to see incoming images. Perhaps there could be a checkbox to turn this feature on and off as well.

Turn off what feature?

If you want to check for new items without switching in and out of Photo Mechanic, use the Rescan command on the File menu.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline srtemple

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 08:43:52 AM »

It's already there.  You just need to use the Search command instead of the Quick Search toolbar item.  You can add lots of user-friendly criteria to your searches, and you can even save searches as Favorites which you can then double-click to execute the search.  Really useful for seeing the photos shot in the last week, month, or year, etc.

Turn off what feature?

If you want to check for new items without switching in and out of Photo Mechanic, use the Rescan command on the File menu.

HTH,

-Kirk

Turn on and off auto-refresh.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 08:47:12 AM »

Turn off what feature?

OK, so what you really want is an auto-refresh (or watched folder) feature to be added, right?

-Kirk

Offline srtemple

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 12:53:04 PM »

Turn off what feature?

OK, so what you really want is an auto-refresh (or watched folder) feature to be added, right?

-Kirk

Exactly, but the user must be able to define/designate the watched folder.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:04:44 PM »

Turn off what feature?

-Kirk

OK.  Would you want it to do an Ingest to another folder (with all of the usual stuff like renaming, folder creation and IPTC captioning)?

-Kirk

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 02:29:59 PM »
I wouldn't mind something like Phojo where when I ingest a card it takes the taged files, captions them, renames them, resizes and the FTP's them. This would be great when working abroad without a technician to send my pics for me. I can just pop the card it and have PM do everything needed to send automatically. My tech back in the office can then do the final captions.

Offline srtemple

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 01:22:36 PM »

Turn off what feature?

-Kirk

OK.  Would you want it to do an Ingest to another folder (with all of the usual stuff like renaming, folder creation and IPTC captioning)?

-Kirk

I don't want to ingest the images, just look at them. I want PM to watch a folder (that I designate) that our Nikon D2x camera is wirelessly uploading images to. As it is right now I have to toggle between PM and the Finder to see newly uploaded images.

I have another request with respect to keywording. I would like to see a keywording system much like Adobe Bridge where you can see all your images and use checkboxes to keyword selected images by just checking a box. This would speed up our keywording process tremendously.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 01:59:51 PM »
I don't want to ingest the images, just look at them. I want PM to watch a folder (that I designate) that our Nikon D2x camera is wirelessly uploading images to. As it is right now I have to toggle between PM and the Finder to see newly uploaded images.

Just type Command-/ and it will rescan the contact sheet.  No need to switch out.

I have another request with respect to keywording. I would like to see a keywording system much like Adobe Bridge where you can see all your images and use checkboxes to keyword selected images by just checking a box. This would speed up our keywording process tremendously.

While I see no need for checkboxes (they're tedious to click on with a trackpad) we will have a Keywording panel that you can have multiple keyword sets which can be applied to a set of images with a single click (well, two clicks: one to load the set and one to apply it.)  This is coming in version 4.5.

-Kirk