Author Topic: incomplete data export  (Read 7500 times)

Offline scphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
incomplete data export
« on: October 23, 2006, 09:58:30 AM »
Ahoy there

We are using the demo version of PM because we have lots of problems exporting IPTC metadata with other programs.  We hope to have better consistency with PM.  I did a test and found we still get incomplete exports of IPTC info, because the photographer did not use any delimiters between keywords- just space.  When I did file>export>text I found that words are cut off, perhaps there is a limited number of characters it allows?  It seems to think the KW are part of the caption due to no delimiters.  Here is a sample of one image's IPTC data exported: {filename} {caption} {keywords}

VDA-200179.jpg VDA200179 : South Asian Indian father with son and daughter smiling and looking at camera wearing dunce cap on head, blue t-shirt, white pant, white and orange dress and cream color t-shirt and black pant, MR #  699, 700, 701 South Asian Indian son daughter smiling looking at camera wearin,orange dress cream color t-shirt black pant affection birthday b

See how it cuts off?  If there a way we can fix that?  I tried to export just the filename and KW and got the same result (same image as above):

VDA-200179.jpg South Asian Indian son daughter smiling looking at camera wearin,orange dress cream color t-shirt black pant affection birthday b

Thanks for any advice you can give us!

Mele at Stock Connection photo agency

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: incomplete data export
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 10:17:53 AM »
Mele,

Ahoy there

We are using the demo version of PM because we have lots of problems exporting IPTC metadata with other programs.  We hope to have better consistency with PM.  I did a test and found we still get incomplete exports of IPTC info, because the photographer did not use any delimiters between keywords- just space.  When I did file>export>text I found that words are cut off, perhaps there is a limited number of characters it allows?  It seems to think the KW are part of the caption due to no delimiters.  Here is a sample of one image's IPTC data exported: {filename} {caption} {keywords}

VDA-200179.jpg VDA200179 : South Asian Indian father with son and daughter smiling and looking at camera wearing dunce cap on head, blue t-shirt, white pant, white and orange dress and cream color t-shirt and black pant, MR #  699, 700, 701 South Asian Indian son daughter smiling looking at camera wearin,orange dress cream color t-shirt black pant affection birthday b

See how it cuts off?  If there a way we can fix that?  I tried to export just the filename and KW and got the same result (same image as above):

VDA-200179.jpg South Asian Indian son daughter smiling looking at camera wearin,orange dress cream color t-shirt black pant affection birthday b

Thanks for any advice you can give us!

What are you using to view the text file?

Is there some way you could share one of your sample files with me so I can investigate?  Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:00:42 PM »
Mele,

I ran an export on your sample file and here is what I got:

VDA200179 : South Asian Indian father with son and daughter smiling and looking at camera wearing dunce cap on head, blue t-shirt, white pant, white and orange dress and cream color t-shirt and black pant, MR #  699, 700, 701   South Asian Indian son daughter smiling looking at camera wearing dunce cap head blue t-shirt white pant white,orange dress cream color t-shirt black pant affection birthday boy brother care caring celebrating celebration children kids Color expressions Father and Child gift girl happy holding India Indoor leisure love man men modern wearing mood parent People relaxing sister smile Three together togetherness Vertical young adult

Here is the string I used in the Text Export dialog:

{caption}   {keywords}

(There's a tab between the two variables.)

I believe it got all of the text.

-Kirk

Offline scphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 01:51:39 PM »
K-
I did the exact same process that you described and this was the result: (exporting {caption} tab {keyword})

VDA200179 : South Asian Indian father with son and daughter smiling and looking at camera wearing dunce cap on head, blue t-shirt, white pant, white and orange dress and cream color t-shirt and black pant, MR #  699, 700, 701   South Asian Indian son daughter smiling looking at camera wearin,orange dress cream color t-shirt black pant affection birthday b

Could there be a bug in our demo?  Or in Photoshop?  I looked at the text file in 2 different text programs. 

We keep having this problem in a lot of different image editor programs so we may have a deeper issue going on with our system? 

Thanks
Mele

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 01:57:10 PM »
Mele,

I did the exact same process that you described and this was the result: (exporting {caption} tab {keyword})

VDA200179 : South Asian Indian father with son and daughter smiling and looking at camera wearing dunce cap on head, blue t-shirt, white pant, white and orange dress and cream color t-shirt and black pant, MR #  699, 700, 701   South Asian Indian son daughter smiling looking at camera wearin,orange dress cream color t-shirt black pant affection birthday b

Could there be a bug in our demo?  Or in Photoshop?  I looked at the text file in 2 different text programs. 

We keep having this problem in a lot of different image editor programs so we may have a deeper issue going on with our system?

What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?

Your captions and keywords are all there, so the source data is not missing.  I know that the Text exporter has no hard limit to how long a field can be.  IPTC itself does have specified limits to lengths of various fields, but none of your examples exceed those limits.

-Kirk

Offline scphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 02:25:41 PM »
We are using Photo Mechanic version 4.4.3.3 in registered demo mode.  I'm able to see everything when opening the image in photoshop file info.  Somehow it is getting corrupted in the translation?  This occurs on a fairly regular basis with other photographers so I doubt it is just a problem with his stuff.  We are at a loss to figure it out. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 02:33:04 PM »
Mele,

We are using Photo Mechanic version 4.4.3.3 in registered demo mode.  I'm able to see everything when opening the image in photoshop file info.  Somehow it is getting corrupted in the translation?  This occurs on a fairly regular basis with other photographers so I doubt it is just a problem with his stuff.  We are at a loss to figure it out. 

I forgot to ask: what OS you are running?  It could be a platform-specific issue.

-Kirk

Offline scphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 02:50:51 PM »
We use macs.  For this work I used a G4 with OS version 10.4.8

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 04:02:38 PM »
We use macs.  For this work I used a G4 with OS version 10.4.8

Interesting.  Well, I am running the same version of both the OS, and Photo Mechanic, and your sample files and it is working fine for me.

If you want to take this off-line, I'd be happy to send you a special test version of Photo Mechanic and we can figure out what is going on.  Click on my name to the left of this message and contact me privately.

-Kirk