Author Topic: Editing and saving an image in PS CS4 is clearing the colour class - sometimes  (Read 4091 times)

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I'm on 4.6.8 on Mac OS 10.7.4.

(edit - have since updated to 4.6.9 and still an issue)

Similar to my issue with the E key not working in Preview mode (http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7135.0) with my new install of Photo Mechanic, I've also just noticed that editing and saving a JPG in PS CS4 is clearing the colour class set on the image, in most cases; weirdly, it definitely isn't doing that every time. No idea what the rule governing if it does or doesn't is.

Is there a setting I've forgotten to fill in with this new install, or have I got a bad install?

Cheers,
Owen
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:36:16 AM by owen-b »

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Just noticed there's a 4.6.9 update available. Will update and try again.

edit: Yep, still happening to JPGs with a colour class set. Editing and saving in PS CS4 clears the class.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:35:40 AM by owen-b »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Owen,

I've also just noticed that editing and saving a JPG in PS CS4 is clearing the colour class set on the image, in most cases; weirdly, it definitely isn't doing that every time. No idea what the rule governing if it does or doesn't is.

Is there a setting I've forgotten to fill in with this new install, or have I got a bad install?

Make sure you're reading embedded XMP before embedded IPTC when reading JPEGs, TIFFs, and PSDs.  See the IPTC/XMP section of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.  Also make sure to embed XMP (and IPTC) when writing them.  Also on the Files section, make sure you're putting Color Class, Rating, and Tag settings in all photos.

-Kirk

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi,

Just checked and as far as I can tell that's exactly what I've got set up - I can't remember if I imported my preferences from a previous install or if these are the default, but they're set up. Actually, the option to write the colour class etc tags in all photos is greyed out because of the Synchronise Color Class setting on the General page. Does that make any difference?

Or, is it something on Photoshop's end?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:07:39 AM by owen-b »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Owen,

Your settings look fine.  The 'synchronize' setting is doing the right thing.

Can you upload an image that has lost its color class?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Okay, so this is very odd but this issue has also self-corrected.

I had been going through old photos, cleaning up and uploading to galleries online. The first batch of images I worked on were from 2007, shot with a D200 if that makes any difference. The colour class was definitely clearing as I saved.

As I posted here I kept working through the images and by the time I had double-checked all the preferences as above I was up to 2009 and now images weren't clearing the colour class as I saved. I figured it was to do with the images themselves, perhaps the camera I had used, and kept going.

This morning I have gone back to the older images and tried to edit and re-save some with the colour class set. The class is not cleared on saving.

I honestly did not touch a single setting when I was checking my prefs. The screen grabs above are as they were set. So, why some images were clearing the colour class and others weren't, and why it self-corrected, I do not know! But, it all seems to be fine now.

Interestingly, this is exactly how my other issue cleared up (the one about the E key in Preview mode). It didn't work, and then I asked about it here, and all of a sudden it worked.

All I can think of is that I recently did a complete re-install of PM onto a new hard drive I had fitted in my iMac to replace the bust old one. Perhaps something kooky happened during the install or something?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Owen,

Okay, so this is very odd but this issue has also self-corrected.

I had been going through old photos, cleaning up and uploading to galleries online. The first batch of images I worked on were from 2007, shot with a D200 if that makes any difference. The colour class was definitely clearing as I saved.

As I posted here I kept working through the images and by the time I had double-checked all the preferences as above I was up to 2009 and now images weren't clearing the colour class as I saved. I figured it was to do with the images themselves, perhaps the camera I had used, and kept going.

This morning I have gone back to the older images and tried to edit and re-save some with the colour class set. The class is not cleared on saving.

I honestly did not touch a single setting when I was checking my prefs. The screen grabs above are as they were set. So, why some images were clearing the colour class and others weren't, and why it self-corrected, I do not know! But, it all seems to be fine now.

Interestingly, this is exactly how my other issue cleared up (the one about the E key in Preview mode). It didn't work, and then I asked about it here, and all of a sudden it worked.

All I can think of is that I recently did a complete re-install of PM onto a new hard drive I had fitted in my iMac to replace the bust old one. Perhaps something kooky happened during the install or something?

There is no installer for the Mac OS X version of Photo Mechanic.  You simply drag the Photo Mechanic application from the disk image and copy it to your desired location.  Perhaps your preferences file was misinterpreted somehow?

I dunno.  But it's good that things are working fine for you now.

-Kirk