Author Topic: .psd shows at "Unsupported Format Variant"  (Read 9636 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
.psd shows at "Unsupported Format Variant"
« on: July 04, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »
Recently got a new Macbook Pro running 10.7.4. Using Photo Mechanic 4.6.9. Photoshop CS6.

One .psd file is showing as "Unsupported Format Variant". It opens normally in Photoshop CS6. Photoshop is set to always save previews. I tried resaving over the same file to see if PM would get a proper preview. When that didn't work I saved a copy into a different folder. This new file also shows as "Unsupported". The images preview fine in the Finder and in Bridge.

The file is large, but not huge. 397.6 Mb. PM is previewing much larger files without a problem.

However, I did find another file (606 Mb) on an external hard drive that is giving the "Unsupported" message. I don't think this image was ever worked on with CS6, so that's probably not where the problem is coming from.

I'm pretty sure that this is a new problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ric

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
Re: .psd shows at "Unsupported Format Variant"
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:46:12 AM »
Hi,
 get PS6 to optimize the file while saving, this will solve the problem.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:50:34 AM »
Hi,
 get PS6 to optimize the file while saving, this will solve the problem.

I think you mean “maximise compatibility” this will ensure there's a normalised version of the file embedded as well. Beware that file size increases because of this (having said that, I always leave maximise compatibility checked).

HTH,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:46:28 AM »
Hi,
yes Hayo, that's it (I'm working with the german version and didn't remember the right words ...)
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:50:01 AM »
I do have "maximize compatibility" set to "always". That's also why I tried the experiment of saving the file over itself and resaving the file to a new folder. I believe both of these should have fixed a file that wasn't saved with "maximize" turned on.

I just tried making a duplicate file (with layers) and saving that-- same "Unsupported" result.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »
I do have "maximize compatibility" set to "always". That's also why I tried the experiment of saving the file over itself and resaving the file to a new folder. I believe both of these should have fixed a file that wasn't saved with "maximize" turned on.

I just tried making a duplicate file (with layers) and saving that-- same "Unsupported" result.

Is the file a PSB file instead of a PSD?

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 12:16:01 PM »

-Kirk

Hello Kirk,

No, I double checked when I reserved that it was set to .psd. Also, is there a problem with .psb's in PM? I don't need them often, but I don't remember there being a problem viewing them in PM.

I have attached a screen shot showing the original and copy file in PM and how one of the files shows in the Finder. The only unusual thing I see is that the finder isn't showing the file dimensions. However, this is true for other images that PM is showing fine. The problem file is 4230 x 3518 pixels.

Thanks.

Ric

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 01:19:18 PM »
Ric,

-Kirk

Hello Kirk,

No, I double checked when I reserved that it was set to .psd. Also, is there a problem with .psb's in PM? I don't need them often, but I don't remember there being a problem viewing them in PM.

I have attached a screen shot showing the original and copy file in PM and how one of the files shows in the Finder. The only unusual thing I see is that the finder isn't showing the file dimensions. However, this is true for other images that PM is showing fine. The problem file is 4230 x 3518 pixels.

Is it possible to scale those images down and save them as a new file, and then try and reproduce the problem?  If a smaller image can reproduce the problem, would you mind uploading it here?  Then I can investigate it.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 03:12:32 PM »

Is it possible to scale those images down and save them as a new file, and then try and reproduce the problem?  If a smaller image can reproduce the problem, would you mind uploading it here?  Then I can investigate it.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

OK, I duplicated the image and reduced the dpi from 300 to 25. The file size is now 6.1 Mb and this new file is also showing in PM as "Unsupported".

I have uploaded the file.

Thanks.

Ric

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 04:18:24 PM »
Ric,

Your image has 26 channels and PM only supports between 1 and 24 channels currently.  How did your image get in this state?

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »
Ric,

Your image has 26 channels and PM only supports between 1 and 24 channels currently.  How did your image get in this state?

-Kirk

One at a time.  ;D

But seriously, this file is the remains of combining a number of images and doing extensive retouching. In addition to saving channel masks, channels were used to keep track of changes and various output needs. I was never aware of the limit to 24 channels, but it does answer a hard to solve riddle for occasional files not previewing.

Is there a reason that PM is limited to 24 channels (other than the fact that most files don't exceed this number)? After all, if the OSX Finder can handle it, why not PM?

Thanks for figuring this out!

Ric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
Ric,

One at a time.  ;D

But seriously, this file is the remains of combining a number of images and doing extensive retouching. In addition to saving channel masks, channels were used to keep track of changes and various output needs. I was never aware of the limit to 24 channels, but it does answer a hard to solve riddle for occasional files not previewing.

Is there a reason that PM is limited to 24 channels (other than the fact that most files don't exceed this number)? After all, if the OSX Finder can handle it, why not PM?

We have our own custom PSD loading code and do not use the same code the Finder uses (PM is a cross-platform application so we try to do our own image processing/loading as much as is possible.)

It's an arbitrary limit.  Just to check to see if a file seems reasonable before trying to load it.  What would figure to be a valid number of channels on the high side?

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »

It's an arbitrary limit.  Just to check to see if a file seems reasonable before trying to load it.  What would figure to be a valid number of channels on the high side?

-Kirk

I don't often reach this number of channels. I don't know about others who do a lot of compositing and masking. 30 - 40 channels would be a limit I'm unlikely to butt up against.

Thanks.

Ric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »
Ric,

I'll make 64 be the maximum number of supported channels for PSD files  in PM5.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »
That would be excellent. Thanks!