Author Topic: Photo Mechanic V5 Beta  (Read 21384 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic V5 Beta
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
Paul,

Just downloaded PM v5 beta and have a couple of questions before I install it and begin trying it out.

Bearing in mind the inadvisability of using beta software for critical work, can I have both the new v5 beta and my current v4.6.8 PM installed at the same time?  Will the new version overwrite the previous version's preference files etc?

Just being extra-cautious! :-)  Can't wait to try out the new features!

They can both reside on your computer at the same time.  PM5 uses a different preferences file format (SQL database) and will try and use as many of your PM 4.x preferences as possible.

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 04:38:48 PM »
"This our way of saying, "Thank you!" for being loyal Camera Bits customers!" What does it mean. I have a licence and use 4.6.9. But I can't use the PM5-Beta. Am I not a loyal customer?

Greetings John

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
JS
If you had read Kirk's earlier post or even gone to the downloads page :  With your web browser, go to www.camerabits.com and click on the [try] link on the home page.
You can get a trial version there.

Offline Katie Werremeyer

• Chief Operating Officer at Camera Bits
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 04:51:38 PM »
Of course you are a loyal customer!  Your current password information will not allow for the beta since it is expired for upgrades, but you can request a demo code and that that will allow you access to to Photo Mechanic: Version 5. 

http://camerabits.com/pages/demoreg.cgi?view=DemoIndiv

Since your password is expired for upgrades, you will need to purchase a new year of upgrades in order to use Photo Mechanic: Version 5 once it is released.  Make sure you sign up for our newsletter to hear of any presales that will occur!  You can sign up for the newsletter on our home page at www.camerabits.com.

Thank you!
Katie Werremeyer
CBDO Camera Bits, Inc.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:53:49 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
I dit exactly this. I gives me a democode for 4.6.9 and invites me to load it down! BTW, If I have to purchase it before i can try it, what's the use of trying?

Best
John

Offline DaveBurbank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 05:05:19 PM »
This is all a little frustrating. I applied for a trial code and all I get is: "Our records show that you have already been granted a 20 day trial demo of Photo Mechanic, plus a 10 day extension on that demo period."

So I have to buy an upgrade to try the beta?

UPDATE: When I try to buy an upgrade, I'm told that "Single user license upgrade from older Photo Mechanic versions (3.x through 4.5.4)".

I'm using 4.6.9. Does that mean I don't need the upgrade?

Dave Burbank
Dave Burbank Photography
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:13:20 PM by DaveBurbank »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »
John,

I dit exactly this. I gives me a democode for 4.6.9 and invites me to load it down! BTW, If I have to purchase it before i can try it, what's the use of trying?

Demo codes for PM 4.6 will work with PM 5.  Did you download PM 5 for your OS from the Announcements board of the forums?

It should work just fine.

No need to buy anything just to try out the beta.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
Dave,

This is all a little frustrating. I applied for a trial code and all I get is: "Our records show that you have already been granted a 20 day trial demo of Photo Mechanic, plus a 10 day extension on that demo period."

So I have to buy and upgrade to try the beta?

When were you issued a demo code in the past?

-Kirk

Offline DaveBurbank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 05:18:56 PM »
Dave,

So I have to buy and upgrade to try the beta?

When were you issued a demo code in the past?

-Kirk

Hi Kirk:

I have no recollection It's certainly been a year or longer.

Also, if I try to avoid all this and just purchase an upgrade I'm told the upgrade is suitable for "...older Photo Mechanic versions (3.x through 4.5.4). But I'm using 4.6.9. What does this mean to me?

Lastly... Kirk: I am very excited about the new Photo Mechanic features. As a full-time professional photographer with more than a million RAW images and 32 terabytes image storage, Photo Mechanic has become the single most critical part of my workflow. It saves me hours every single day. I can't wait to see what you've done, with the new version. (And with collections.)

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »
I had the same problem with my "password" not working for the 5-beta install. Fixed by downloading a trial number.

For me the confusion I think was caused by the fact that I purchased PM in 2010 and have been able to upgrade to 4.6.9 without having to purchase any other licence. I guess it's now time to pay the piper!
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Mike-D

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »
I suggest two things. First, make the registration entry fields cut-and-paste aware. Second, change the name to PhotosMechanic 5 or something so it doesn't overwrite the currently installed version.
---
Mac OS X 10.6.3
PM 4.6.5

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 06:13:44 PM »
I suggest two things. First, make the registration entry fields cut-and-paste aware. Second, change the name to PhotosMechanic 5 or something so it doesn't overwrite the currently installed version.

This one sounds to be a good idea!
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline joshuacorp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 06:17:12 PM »
I have downloaded and installed, entered the  serial details. Howerver when the programme goes to laubch I get an error message (Photomechanic 5 has stopped working) and it failes to load.

Have rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled and the issue persists.

Win7
64Bit
i7
16gig ram

ANy suggestions?

Mark
New Zealand

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 06:21:10 PM »
Mark,

I have downloaded and installed, entered the  serial details. Howerver when the programme goes to laubch I get an error message (Photomechanic 5 has stopped working) and it failes to load.

Have rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled and the issue persists.

Try holding down the Shift key as soon as you launch PM.  This will cause a few preferences to reset.  If the problem persists I'll have to get you a logging version of PM 5 to test with.

Everyone: please post problems in new threads so we can better track any issues you might have.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Mimot13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »
Hello Kirk,

you're likely doing your best to make the v5 launch as good as possible.. but really the beta version without possibility to launch this beta soft because we need a demo code sounds like a joke !? You will be obliged to give many answers on this forum concerning this question.. wouldn't not easier to allow a try until mid of july for everyone or do you want to avoid people using this new software, I mean all those who even doesn't know about PM 4.6 ??

I beg your pardon, but Camerabits have to come back down to earth.