Author Topic: PM & Photoshop's "Copyright Status"  (Read 2925 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
PM & Photoshop's "Copyright Status"
« on: October 26, 2006, 06:48:05 AM »
When does Photo Mechanic switch the Photoshop "Copyright Status" to "Copyrighted"? Which file formats does it work with?

Adding my IPTC information using the Stationery Pad to a TIFF file doesn't switch the status to copyrighted. But saving the same file out as a JPEG does.

Can someone give me the Who What Where Why and How on this?

Thanks!

--
David Gordon

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM & Photoshop's "Copyright Status"
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:35:40 PM »
Hi David,

This gets a bit complicated...

The copyright status flag you mention is stored in Adobe's "image resources".  For JPEG files, this is in Adobe's JPEG application marker, which happens to also be where the IPTC record is found by virtue of Adobe putting it there and everyone adopting this location for reasons that should be obvious (despite it being a really dumb place to put it - it would make more sense to put IPTC in its own JPEG application marker).

For JPEG files, Photo Mechanic will update the copyright status to either copyrighted or "unknown" (depending on whether or not there is a non-zero copyright string in the IPTC record).  This is done whenever the IPTC is updated (and the copyright status flag already exists), or when new IPTC info is added.

For TIFF files, we don't update the Photoshop resources when updating the IPTC (primarily because the IPTC record is stored elsewhere), and so this copyright flag is not changed or created at this time.  Generally, this would require writing a brand new TIFF file or other "hacks" due to TIFF's inflexibility, although an existing PS resource could be updated (consider this a bug fix or feature request).  However, when writing a new TIFF file (i.e. SaveAs to TIFF), we do create this flag in the Photoshop resources block, again depending on whether the IPTC copyright field is empty or not.

For PSD files, I believe we treat these like JPEGs (i.e. we update the copyright status when IPTC is updated).

PS - PM doesn't support the "public domain" option.

--dennis