Author Topic: Photo mechanic.exe - Entry Point Not Found  (Read 3858 times)

Offline ryansphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo mechanic.exe - Entry Point Not Found
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »
When I try and start PM5 it says

"Photo mechanic.exe - Entry Point Not Found"

"The procedure entry point SHCreateItemFromParsingName could not be located in dynamic link library SHELL32.dll."

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo mechanic.exe - Entry Point Not Found
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »
Ryan,

What OS are you running?  Photo Mechanic: Version 5 supports Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Earlier OSes like Windows XP are no longer supported.

-Kirk

Offline ryansphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »
I'm using XP. Thanks for the info.

Offline Ned

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »
It's a shame you've decided to go that route, but you will be saving me money as I'll be moving on from your software. The installed base of XP is still huge. Even Adobe decided not to throw us away.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
Ned,

It's a shame you've decided to go that route, but you will be saving me money as I'll be moving on from your software. The installed base of XP is still huge. Even Adobe decided not to throw us away.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Windows 7 is far superior to Windows XP.  And I was a die-hard XP holdout.  PM5 benefits by getting a full 4-GB address space which it could only achieve if it were a full 64-bit application on Windows XP.

Last year the user base of Windows 7 exceeded the user base of Windows XP:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-XP-Windows-Vista-OS-Market-Share-OSX-Linux,12559.html

I would imagine the Windows 7 user base has grown since last year, especially since Windows XP is hard to find for new computer builds.

Sorry to hear that you'll be leaving.  You'll be missing out on a great version of Photo Mechanic.

Best wishes,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:28:33 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline judas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 03:17:22 AM »
Ned,

I'm sorry to hear that.  Windows 7 is far superior to Windows XP.  And I was a die-hard XP holdout.  PM5 benefits by getting a full 4-GB address space which it could only achieve if it were a full 64-bit application on Windows XP.

Last year the user base of Windows 7 exceeded the user base of Windows XP:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-XP-Windows-Vista-OS-Market-Share-OSX-Linux,12559.html

I would imagine the Windows 7 user base has grown since last year, especially since Windows XP is hard to find for new computer builds.

Sorry to hear that you'll be leaving.  You'll be missing out on a great version of Photo Mechanic.

Best wishes,

-Kirk

hi Kirk
i have a desktop with a legit w7 and a laptop with a legit xp sp3
is there a hope or a tip to run v5 under xp sp3?
i mean i was almost going to buy v5
but i really like to use my laptop and don't want to pay another w7 license
i know there is v4 but it will never update

i know xp it's old but -> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Users-Still-Not-Willing-to-Abandon-Windows-XP-343603.shtml

is there a way to install it under w7 and export registry and other stuff and run under xp?

i buy software , and buy another w7 license and pm5 is pretty expensive

thanks
hope you understand
greetings

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 07:16:23 AM »
Hello Judas (and all other people still using XP),

Given that Microsoft is abandoning XP starting next year, it really is time to move to a newer version of Windows.

If you continue to use XP, not only are you making yourself very vulnerable, you are also going to be a threat to other people as well. As of next year, Microsoft will not bring out any security patches for XP any longer, basically making your computer a hackers playground, enabling them to abuse your computer for e.g., spam sending, but also for hijacking your personal data etc.

I would therefore really urge you to upgrade ASAP. The sooner the better, but at least before the end of the year! For your own sake as well as others.

Thanks,
Hayo

PS. It is a pity that Microsoft abandons XP (though after so many years I can't blame them) as for me it still is their best OS version. Windows 7 is good too though, and probably your best option for upgrade. Vista is quite bad, and I don't think you'll enjoy Windows 8 much in its current form (hopefully Windows 8.1 will be better)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline judas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 07:50:36 AM »
Hello Judas (and all other people still using XP),

Given that Microsoft is abandoning XP starting next year, it really is time to move to a newer version of Windows.

If you continue to use XP, not only are you making yourself very vulnerable, you are also going to be a threat to other people as well. As of next year, Microsoft will not bring out any security patches for XP any longer, basically making your computer a hackers playground, enabling them to abuse your computer for e.g., spam sending, but also for hijacking your personal data etc.

I would therefore really urge you to upgrade ASAP. The sooner the better, but at least before the end of the year! For your own sake as well as others.

Thanks,
Hayo

PS. It is a pity that Microsoft abandons XP (though after so many years I can't blame them) as for me it still is their best OS version. Windows 7 is good too though, and probably your best option for upgrade. Vista is quite bad, and I don't think you'll enjoy Windows 8 much in its current form (hopefully Windows 8.1 will be better)

i agree ,but i leat i can use v5 until i buy a new laptop with pre-installed os

hope kirk will answer

greetings

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »
Photo Mechanic 5 only runs on Windows Vista or higher.  We no longer support Windows XP or Windows 2000.

-Kirk