Author Topic: Catalogue PM5  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
Catalogue PM5
« on: July 07, 2012, 12:48:52 AM »
Just tried  PM5 and it looks ok. Like the colours but it does not seem a huge advance on the last version. :(

Anyway, when the catlogue plug in comes along, will it be possible to go from 4.6.9 straight to PM5 Catalogue or is PM5 required in addition.

Catalogue plug in has no price indication which is a concern. As with most photographers I am finding fees are low and people are not paying their invoices on time etc. Paying for an upgrade to PM5 then another fee for the plug in may not make sense in the current economic environment.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: Catalogue PM5
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 12:53:09 AM »
Frank,
Paying for an upgrade to PM5 then another fee for the plug in may not make sense in the current economic environment.

there may be people that "only" need PM but not the catalog. I for myself think that the optional catalog is a good approach.
Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 07:23:26 AM »
For me, I see no reason to upgrade to V5 EXCEPT for the catalog feature.  I don't mind paying extra for the catalog but some sort of time frame and cost would be helpful.  If I wait for the catalog module, will I still get an upgrade cost or will I need to pay full price?  I really don't want to pay for the V5 PM upgrade until I see if the catalog will be worth a change from my current app IDimager.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »
For me, I see no reason to upgrade to V5 EXCEPT for the catalog feature.  I don't mind paying extra for the catalog but some sort of time frame and cost would be helpful.  If I wait for the catalog module, will I still get an upgrade cost or will I need to pay full price?  I really don't want to pay for the V5 PM upgrade until I see if the catalog will be worth a change from my current app IDimager.

PM5 + Cataloging will cost more than PM5 alone.  Users who own PM5 already will only need to purchase the Cataloging module.  We're going to make the price reasonable.  For users who don't have PM5 then the upgrade to PM5 + Cataloging will cost more than the basic upgrade to PM5 alone.  The difference in upgrade price will be the price of the Cataloging module itself.

The Cataloging module is a new product and as such there will be no free upgrades to anyone (since no one could have already owned it yet.)

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:40:22 AM »
Will we be able to get a look at the PM5 Catalogue version before commiting to purchase?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 09:49:40 AM »
Will we be able to get a look at the PM5 Catalogue version before commiting to purchase?

Of course.  We always offer demo trial periods on our software.

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 03:24:27 PM »
Thanks Kirk, will look forward to trying the catalogue version

Regards, Frank

Offline DaveBurbank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 06:39:19 PM »
Just tried  PM5 and it looks ok. ... it does not seem a huge advance on the last version. :(

I realize it's all a matter of what features are important to you, but I am really excited about some of the new features of PM5. As a full-time photographer, anything that will save me time is huge.

The new crop features and the fact that crops in PM now fully compatible with Adobe’s crops is critical. Cropping in Lightroom is incredibly slow, even on my 8 core Mac Pro. The ability to crop my images in PM before import into Lightroom will likely save me a ton of time.

Having a non-modal preview window which allows me to keep the Preview window open and continue to work in the contact sheet as well is another feature that will save me lots of time.

I'm pretty excited about the new PM5.

Dave Burbank