Author Topic: PM 5 IPTC Dialogs  (Read 6281 times)

Offline ajmast

• View Profile
PM 5 IPTC Dialogs
« on: July 07, 2012, 05:11:21 AM »
So a couple of suggestions:

Classic IPTC view-- Add the Save, Upload & Advance button

When I hold shift and the Save, Upload & Advance button goes to upload options, clicking on it crashes PM5. The OK button also changes to Eval when shift is pressed

Both IPTC views -- Color change, When no field is selected a number key should change the color code.

Side note: Win 7 64b, pm5b2
When I enable AP custom features it downloads a new DB, validates and says it installs, but then I cannot close the preferences dialog. Clicking on it nothing happens. I have to force kill and restart PM5.

Customizing IPTC info and stationary pad (suggestion for later implementation): I think this process would be smoother if the customize button brought up the actual IPTC dialog window, with check boxes next to the fields so they could be turned off, and still have the ability to drag and drop the order/location.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: PM 5 IPTC Dialogs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:17:12 AM »
Hi ajmast!

The OK button also changes to Eval when shift is pressed

That's the expected behavior. If you are putting variables in the IPTC dialog you can Shift-click the OK (Eval) button get the results displayed instantly with the need to clore and re-open the dialog.

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »
AJ,

So a couple of suggestions:

Classic IPTC view-- Add the Save, Upload & Advance button

The Classic IPTC dialogs are not going to be updated anymore.  They're not customizable, and are missing the latest features.  If you want the new features, use the new dialogs and customize them to remove fields you don't need.

Quote from: ajmast
When I hold shift and the Save, Upload & Advance button goes to upload options, clicking on it crashes PM5. The OK button also changes to Eval when shift is pressed

The OK button is supposed to change, so does the Clear button.  I'll look into the crash for the upload options.

Both IPTC views -- Color change, When no field is selected a number key should change the color code.

As above, the Classic IPTC dialogs are not getting new features such as the ability to use keyboard shortcuts.  As for the shortcuts themselves, they correspond to the same keys used in the Color Class and Rating sub-menus in the Image menu.

Side note: Win 7 64b, pm5b2
When I enable AP custom features it downloads a new DB, validates and says it installs, but then I cannot close the preferences dialog. Clicking on it nothing happens. I have to force kill and restart PM5.

Thanks.  I'll look into that.

Customizing IPTC info and stationary pad (suggestion for later implementation): I think this process would be smoother if the customize button brought up the actual IPTC dialog window, with check boxes next to the fields so they could be turned off, and still have the ability to drag and drop the order/location.

That would indeed be a nice implementation, but would be about an order of magnitude more difficult to implement than the customization system that is currently in place.  So it is very unlikely to be implemented that way.

Thanks for your feedback,

-Kirk

Offline ajmast

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 12:49:53 PM »

...  As for the shortcuts themselves, they correspond to the same keys used in the Color Class and Rating sub-menus in the Image menu.

So the difference is in contact sheet and preview color code can be set with the number -with no CTRL modifier when the Single Key Shortcuts pref is set to color and not stars. But in the IPTC dialogue CTRL modifier is required.

Or said another way, the Single Key Short cut preference is ignored in the IPTC dialogue.

Offline ajmast

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 05:53:12 AM »
Another little issue:

So in customizing the IPTC Stationary I dragged the copyright from COL1 to COL2, but the field went missing from the list, it was in neither column. When I Opened the Stationary pad it was the last field in COL1.  I returned to the customizer and it was still not listed in either column. I reset everything and did the set up again, and not sure how, got the edit status field to do the same thing.

After resetting to default (The field then returned) I reloaded the snap shot I had saved while the field was missing, and the field went missing again in the list, but still existed on the Stationary pad.

Attachments show the COL1 bottom being an unused Tag field, but in the stationary the Copyright field still showing up.

Though for future: Also in going back and fourth looking at this, how about adding a modifier to bring up the Customize option from the IPTC Info or Staionary pad, so SHIFT would toggle the Variables to Customize, pop up the Customize window, the Customize OK would save the changes and reload the IPTC Window.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 06:15:26 AM »
AJ,

Another little issue:

So in customizing the IPTC Stationary I dragged the copyright from COL1 to COL2, but the field went missing from the list, it was in neither column. When I Opened the Stationary pad it was the last field in COL1.  I returned to the customizer and it was still not listed in either column. I reset everything and did the set up again, and not sure how, got the edit status field to do the same thing.

After resetting to default (The field then returned) I reloaded the snap shot I had saved while the field was missing, and the field went missing again in the list, but still existed on the Stationary pad.

Attachments show the COL1 bottom being an unused Tag field, but in the stationary the Copyright field still showing up.

If you can come up with a set of steps that causes items to be completely lost, I'd appreciate it.  Could you upload your snapshot file that has a missing field?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Though for future: Also in going back and fourth looking at this, how about adding a modifier to bring up the Customize option from the IPTC Info or Staionary pad, so SHIFT would toggle the Variables to Customize, pop up the Customize window, the Customize OK would save the changes and reload the IPTC Window.

Performing a re-layout after the dialog is instantiated opens up its own can of worms.  Perhaps in the future I'll have the time to work all of that out.

-Kirk

Offline ajmast

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:12:24 AM »
AJ,

Another little issue:

If you can come up with a set of steps that causes items to be completely lost, I'd appreciate it.  Could you upload your snapshot file that has a missing field?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Snap shot is attached.  (Win 7 64b, PM5b2)
Here is what I think it is, I grab any field (Copyright in this case) and drag to bottom of COL1, hit OK.
Reopen Custimize drag the same field (Copyright in this case) to COL2 and it disappears.
I have repeated this and that is what causes it to happen.
When I repeat procedure with 2 fields instead of one, there does not appear to be any problem.
It also looks like going from COL2 -> COL1 with the same procedure does not cause the same issue.

While trying to recreate I managed to get fields to exist in both columns at the same time (screenshots attached).
I think this is happening when I Shift select a group of fields, then unselect one with a CTRL-Click on it, grab the remaining selected fields and drag to other column.
So:  "Group 1, desc/caption, dec writers, headline" are selected
desc/caption is unselected
remaining are draged to COL2
desc/caption disappears from the list, but shows up as the last item in COL1 when opening the stationary pad (so related to the issue above) after OKing out.
Headline is in both cols. still highlighted in COL1 in customize OK out... open the Staionary pad Headline shows only one time in COL2.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »
AJ,

Another little issue:

Snap shot is attached.  (Win 7 64b, PM5b2)
Here is what I think it is, I grab any field (Copyright in this case) and drag to bottom of COL1, hit OK.
Reopen Custimize drag the same field (Copyright in this case) to COL2 and it disappears.
I have repeated this and that is what causes it to happen.
When I repeat procedure with 2 fields instead of one, there does not appear to be any problem.
It also looks like going from COL2 -> COL1 with the same procedure does not cause the same issue.

While trying to recreate I managed to get fields to exist in both columns at the same time (screenshots attached).
I think this is happening when I Shift select a group of fields, then unselect one with a CTRL-Click on it, grab the remaining selected fields and drag to other column.
So:  "Group 1, desc/caption, dec writers, headline" are selected
desc/caption is unselected
remaining are draged to COL2
desc/caption disappears from the list, but shows up as the last item in COL1 when opening the stationary pad (so related to the issue above) after OKing out.
Headline is in both cols. still highlighted in COL1 in customize OK out... open the Staionary pad Headline shows only one time in COL2.

I'm unable to reproduce your first case, but was able to reproduce the second case.

I have fixed the problem responsible for the second case.  Perhaps it also will fix the first case for you.  The next build will have the fix in it.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
These issues should be solved in Photo Mechanic: Version 5 Beta 4 which you can get here:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7425.0

-Kirk