Author Topic: Emailing in PM 5 on a Windows 7 machine.  (Read 4996 times)

Offline antpix

• View Profile
Emailing in PM 5 on a Windows 7 machine.
« on: August 27, 2012, 02:56:43 AM »
I can't search if the topic has been addressed as the search function won't work with single figure searches, so I can't specify '7' in the search!

Trying to set up a PM 5 on a Windows 7 machine.

Thunderbird is set as the default email programme, (MAPI sorted?), I have a couple of addresses in the address book and yet when I call up the 'send via email' page, I can't access the address book via the button with the Ellipsis.

Does PM 5 work with Thunderbird, if not what would be the best, hopefully free email programme to use, so that I can email multiple images to multiple addresses, via 'groups' created in the address book?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Emailing in PM 5 on a Windows 7 machine.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:22:22 AM »
I can't search if the topic has been addressed as the search function won't work with single figure searches, so I can't specify '7' in the search!

Trying to set up a PM 5 on a Windows 7 machine.

Thunderbird is set as the default email programme, (MAPI sorted?), I have a couple of addresses in the address book and yet when I call up the 'send via email' page, I can't access the address book via the button with the Ellipsis.

Does PM 5 work with Thunderbird, if not what would be the best, hopefully free email programme to use, so that I can email multiple images to multiple addresses, via 'groups' created in the address book?

Thunderbird's implementation of MAPI is somewhat limited.  I do not know of a better free application that is still available.  It used to be Outlook Express, but I don't think it's available anymore.

You can always set PM to not send the mail directly and you can leave the address fields blank.  Fill them in once you get your newly created email window in Thunderbird.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »
I use PM with Thunderbird on a Windows 7 computer.  Works ok for me.

Offline antpix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:48:07 AM »
Kirk,

Yes, that works, however if you're sending say 15 emails, it's quite a bit of extra keystrokes, when you're on deadline.

Outlook Express apparently doesn't work in 64 Bit, so it doesn't work.

If there is an implementation of TB that works, it would be great to know, so Woodie, how have you got Thunderbird and PM set up?

Can you confirm that you can access the TB address book and generate emails with the addresses already filled in?

As was possible with Windows XP and also on a Mac.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:16:28 AM »
I select the photos I want to email.  Then I choose Send photos via email in PM.  The PM dialog box opens and I select the size, covert to sRGB, add a watermark and other options I want.  Click on the OK button and Thunderbird opens an outgoing message with the photos attached but no addresses.  At that point it's just like sending anything else from Tbird and that is when I add the addresses. I have the "Review email in email application before sending" box checked.

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're trying to do. From your last post, I think you want to add the addresses from your Tbird address book but do it in PM.  I do not know how to access my Tbird address book directly from PM.  I add addresses after the message opens in Tbird.  That's the way I've always done it (I've been using PM for about four years and started on XP; now on Win 7 and PM 5).  If there is a way to access the Tbird addresses from PM, I'm not aware it.

Hope this helps.

Offline antpix

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:40:06 AM »
Woodie,

Thanks, that is exactly how it works at the moment in Windows 7 for me.

In XP and also Mac OS, you can access the Mail address book (Mac) and Outlook address Book (Win XP) directly from within PM, so that when your emails are generated they already have the addresses included in the address bar.

A very elegant and simple system, which unfortunately does not seem to work now in in W7 and ThunderBird - I've not tried using the Window Live Mail as it appears to have such bad reviews, so I don't know if that works.

If anybody else knows of an email program which works properly with PM I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:19:50 AM »
I've never used Outlook or Outlook Express so I've always had the extra steps.  Didn't know what I was missing.   :)