Author Topic: Tethered camera function.  (Read 3231 times)

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
Tethered camera function.
« on: July 24, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »
Hello Kirk et al.

I think that having an integrated tethered camera function that allows adjustment and operation of camera and immediate transfer and review of images would be very useful and significantly stream line my work flow.

This would be consistent with the scope of purpose of PM. It seems like most of the sub-functions are already coded and only a "tethering" module would be required.

Thanks

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Tethered camera function.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 05:59:26 PM »
Peter,

I think that having an integrated tethered camera function that allows adjustment and operation of camera and immediate transfer and review of images would be very useful and significantly stream line my work flow.

This would be consistent with the scope of purpose of PM. It seems like most of the sub-functions are already coded and only a "tethering" module would be required.

Just use the tethering software that came with your camera and then use Live Ingest or Live Slide Show to monitor the folder where your tethering software puts the photos.

-Kirk

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »
Thanks Kirk.

Unfortunately no tethering software "came" with the camera. I have been using Sofortbild (Mac) with PM in the manner you describe. Does get a bit tedious switching been the two programmes to take, and review/compare images.

A pay-for plugin?!

As an aside, Sofortbild has problems with the new Nikon D800 series.

Peter

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:18:49 PM by pshrutpark »

Offline pwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:02:32 PM »
He's got a point. Software like EOS Utility is typical Canon, the GUI looks terrific but functionality is sadly underdeveloped. BreezeBrowser Remote Pro is a brilliantly featured tethering program, provided you have a PC.
The Mac version lacks many of the useful features of the PC version...so much so that even EOS Utility is preferable.

I have EOS Utility on my MBP and it's set up to feed directly into PhotoMechanic. Kind of OK, but EOS Utility is alarmingly unstable on Mac, crashing often.

Once you have PM5 & the catalog function bedded down, why not turn your programming skills to a tethered function for PM? Pitch it as a paid add-on. I'd pay $100 in a heartbeat. Who wouldn't?

Paul Wright