Author Topic: Make Info Tooltips like Tasks/Navigator/Favorites  (Read 7396 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Make Info Tooltips like Tasks/Navigator/Favorites
« on: July 07, 2012, 05:13:19 PM »
I never enable the Info Tooltips (Ctrl+Shift+T on Windows) because I find it visually distracting to see the popup window constantly moving across the screen.  I would much prefer to have the info text be displayed like the tasks, favorites, and navigator are -- windows that can be accessed via a tab control or dragged to a separate location (including a secondary monitor).

Deven

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Make Info Tooltips like Tasks/Navigator/Favorites
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 04:52:19 AM »
Hi Deven,

Hmm, I on the other hand love the tooltips; a quick and easy way to get lots of info on an image. If it should be moved to a pane on the contact sheet, then this should be an option.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:34:32 AM »
Hmm, I on the other hand love the tooltips; a quick and easy way to get lots of info on an image.

Agreed.  In fact, if one could edit the IPTC fields displayed, it would be even better  :D

If it should be moved to a pane on the contact sheet, then this should be an option.

Maybe this would be a "classic" display option  ;)

Not only do I find the popup distracting, but it also covers up the adjacent image.  It just has the feel of being designed for occasional use (which is fine) rather than for continuous use.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:12:30 AM »
Deven,

Hmm, I on the other hand love the tooltips; a quick and easy way to get lots of info on an image.

Agreed.  In fact, if one could edit the IPTC fields displayed, it would be even better  :D

It is customizable.  Edit->Settings->Set Info Text...

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I realize it is customizable.  What I meant was it would be nice if the IPTC field values displayed were editable.  So if the Headline displayed was Soccer, I could edit it and change it to Football without having to open the IPTC Info dialog box.  In programmer speak, the IPTC field values are displayed as text, why not display them in an edit or text box?

Deven

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »
In programmer speak, the IPTC field values are displayed as text, why not display them in an edit or text box?

Hi Deven,
Kirk, correct me if I am wrong...
I think this will not be possible as the variables are "read only".

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »

IPTC fields are like Caption, Headline, Keywords, etc., so these are editable.  EXIF fields like Aperture and ISO are read only.

Deven

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »

IPTC fields are like Caption, Headline, Keywords, etc., so these are editable.  EXIF fields like Aperture and ISO are read only.

Deven

SK-Foto meant when you use the variable it is just a one way call to read the value of the given IPTC field and display it as text....it is probably not possible to use them as you want.....well I think it would need a great deal of progamming and it may not be easy. However I love the idea though!
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I realize it is customizable.  What I meant was it would be nice if the IPTC field values displayed were editable.  So if the Headline displayed was Soccer, I could edit it and change it to Football without having to open the IPTC Info dialog box.  In programmer speak, the IPTC field values are displayed as text, why not display them in an edit or text box?

Deven

Deven, if I read you correctly, you'd like to be able to directly edit “inside” the info text, that is where a variable is placed you'd like to be able to directly edit its value. This sounds great. However, I don't think it is really feasible; for one, not all variables contain writeable values and what if instead of a straight variable one used a code replacement or a substring selection? This would become quite unpredictable I think.

But thinking about this a bit more, I think you are actually looking at a new “mini IPTC info panel”

This I think should be feasible, but will require additional work from the developers. So not likely to be part of PM5.0 (5.1 perhaps?)

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »
Yes, I realize that not all the fields shown in the IPTC Tooltips are editable, but I think it would be pretty easy for Kirk & Co. to distinguish between the two ;)

You are probably right that modifying the existing Info Tooltips is not practical nor desirable (I think the existing design is marginal, so why put more effort into it?).  Creating a dockable Info panel would be my first choice.  I think it would be more useable than the IPTC Info dialog box (whose major drawback -- for me -- is that it is modal).

One question would be what would the Info Panel display when multiple images are selected and all the editable fields values are not the same?  I would suggest something like '*' or "Multiple values."  Any edits made would just apply the changes of those fields to the selected images.  So if you changed the Headline field, the changes to that field would be applied to the selected images and no other field values would be affected.  I think this would be very powerful.

Deven

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 06:15:14 AM »
Yes, I realize that not all the fields shown in the IPTC Tooltips are editable, but I think it would be pretty easy for Kirk & Co. to distinguish between the two ;)

True, I guess.

You are probably right that modifying the existing Info Tooltips is not practical nor desirable (I think the existing design is marginal, so why put more effort into it?).  Creating a dockable Info panel would be my first choice.  I think it would be more useable than the IPTC Info dialog box (whose major drawback -- for me -- is that it is modal).

One question would be what would the Info Panel display when multiple images are selected and all the editable fields values are not the same?  I would suggest something like '*' or "Multiple values."  Any edits made would just apply the changes of those fields to the selected images.  So if you changed the Headline field, the changes to that field would be applied to the selected images and no other field values would be affected.  I think this would be very powerful.

YES! This would be awesome; this is the one feature I liked in Lightroom a lot; you select a lot of images, and the fields that are all the same get shown, the others get marked in some way to indicate multiple values (but still allowing you to change them).  I would love for PM to have this feature too!
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »
Another vote for that...
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi