Author Topic: PM 5.0 Disturbing Preview Toolbar Icons  (Read 23208 times)

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM 5.0 Disturbing Preview Toolbar Icons
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 12:41:41 AM »
I agree that customizing the toolbar (for Windows) is not easy for the programmer.
So why not removing **everything**, even the frame around the picture, just leaving the controls to adjust star and color ratings overlayed on the picture at the bottom. All screen pixels would be dedicated to the picture.
ACDSee for example does that (without the controls for color and star rating), and this is very convenient when you browse through your pictures to select the bad and the good ones. The screen is filled with your picture, nothing else. Nothing to disturb your vision.
That would be very nice I think
Frédéric
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:44:54 AM by fds »

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 04:01:40 AM »
Hi,
I think Orik is talking about the Preview window toolbar. In fact, this one does not have the Upload button (you can always use the U shortcut in the keyboard).
As to the Windows x Mac question, that was precisely one of the reasons I switched to a Mac...there are so many more features in a lot of the programs photographers use... (not only PM).
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 04:09:35 AM »
Hi,

that's what I can see to customize the PREVIEW toolbar:

[attachment deleted by admin]
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.11 )

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 04:15:28 AM »
Hi,
I think Orik is talking about the Preview window toolbar. In fact, this one does not have the Upload button (you can always use the U shortcut in the keyboard).
As to the Windows x Mac question, that was precisely one of the reasons I switched to a Mac...there are so many more features in a lot of the programs photographers use... (not only PM).
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Luiz, Sven, Kirk,

why the UPLOAD tool (icon) is so important in the CONTACT SHEET but not in the PREVIEW mode ?
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.11 )

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 04:24:43 AM »
Hi,
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Luiz, Sven, Kirk,

why the UPLOAD tool (icon) is so important in the CONTACT SHEET but not in the PREVIEW mode ?

Oryk,
sorry for the question, but do you really need a mouse for that?

A simple press on the "U"-Key is (in my opinion) faster...

Sven
Changed from behind the cam to one who buys images as I started to run. No cam or lens left.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 04:32:39 AM »
HI, Orik
I myself prefer to select many images at a time and send them all at once to Photoshelter.
I choose the files that belong to the same category (for instance, Portraits, Landscapes, Birds, etc.) and upload them.
So, in my workflow the Upload icon in the contact sheet is much more useful.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 04:44:45 AM »
Oryk,

if you really need to use the mouse in the preview: do a right-click on the image and the context menu shows Upload and FTP as the to last items in the list.

hth
Sven

Changed from behind the cam to one who buys images as I started to run. No cam or lens left.

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 07:49:56 AM »
Hi,
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Luiz, Sven, Kirk,

Oryk,
sorry for the question, but do you really need a mouse for that?

A simple press on the "U"-Key is (in my opinion) faster...

Sven

Sven, Luiz,

you can use "U"-key in the Contact Sheet mode as well. You can use a lot of shortcuts. So why we need any toolbar icons at all ?  ;)

I want to check my pictures using two fingers on my touchpad and want to klick an icon with my touchpad to upload my files. Plain vanilla. ;)

-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.11 )

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 07:52:40 AM »
you can use "U"-key in the Contact Sheet mode as well. You can use a lot of shortcuts. So why we need any toolbar icons at all ?  ;)

I want to check my pictures using two fingers on my touchpad and want to klick an icon with my touchpad to upload my files. Plain vanilla. ;)

Oryk, for multiple files (as Luiz does) you have to use "Command-U".

OK, I am out of this discussion.

Sven

Offline karlmz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »
I agree that customizing the toolbar (for Windows) is not easy for the programmer.
So why not removing **everything**, even the frame around the picture, just leaving the controls to adjust star and color ratings overlayed on the picture at the bottom. All screen pixels would be dedicated to the picture.
ACDSee for example does that (without the controls for color and star rating), and this is very convenient when you browse through your pictures to select the bad and the good ones. The screen is filled with your picture, nothing else. Nothing to disturb your vision.
That would be very nice I think
Frédéric

Hi,

In support for Frédéric's suggestion I attach two screen shots, the first with the preview toolbar and the second without the toolbar. Would it really be so difficult to make it possible to turn the toolbar on or off?

Regards,
Karl

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 12:46:54 AM »
Kirk,
As an application developper myself, I think this should be easy (ACDSee does it with the 'F' key, some other applications with Alt+Enter (Windows) to toggle between full screen and picture+frames!!).
Just using the keyboard of right-click with the mouse to get a contextual menu.

But I don't know the environment you are using to develop PM ... so it is perahps more complex.

Anyhow, PM is a great application, very robust and with a nice ergonomy

Regards
Frédéric

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 01:31:35 PM »
I second the idea of making these icons a little if not a little more discreet. To me they look like a relict of early Windows XP times. Sure disabling the toolbar is an option but so far I have not found a way to add photos to a selection besides clicking that huge +.

All in all I have to say that the new design is imho more than one step backwards. I hope that there will soon be a way to customize colors somewhere close to the old PM4 look. This new white and shades of grey layout is really a pain in the eyes.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 01:38:45 PM »
I second the idea of making these icons a little if not a little more discreet. To me they look like a relict of early Windows XP times. Sure disabling the toolbar is an option but so far I have not found a way to add photos to a selection besides clicking that huge +.

All in all I have to say that the new design is imho more than one step backwards. I hope that there will soon be a way to customize colors somewhere close to the old PM4 look. This new white and shades of grey layout is really a pain in the eyes.

Wait.  So you basically dislike even the lighter UI version of the dialogs as well?

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 01:56:45 PM »

Wait.  So you basically dislike even the lighter UI version of the dialogs as well?

-Kirk

It seems like I missed something. How do I change e.g. the stationary pad to a lighter UI?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
Oliver,

It seems like I missed something. How do I change e.g. the stationary pad to a lighter UI?

If you're on the Mac then there is a setting in the Accessibility section of the Preferences dialog.  If you're on Windows, you'll have to wait a little longer.

-Kirk