Author Topic: PM 5.0 Disturbing Preview Toolbar Icons  (Read 23248 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Re: PM 5.0 Disturbing Preview Toolbar Icons
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 10:14:10 PM »

If you're on the Mac then there is a setting in the Accessibility section of the Preferences dialog.  If you're on Windows, you'll have to wait a little longer.

-Kirk

Well I guess I will be patient and wait (Win 7 x64) ;)

Offline wolfgang

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 10:48:22 AM »
I am like Oliver on W7 x64 and was really shocked as I updated to PM 5 today. These big colored icons, a light grey or even black font on a dark grey background and the worst is the iptc editor, after a long shooting day, writing captions will be a real pain for the eyes. Did these designers ever here of the old Bauhaus wisdom: "form follows funktion"?????

Offline michael33

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 03:37:51 AM »
+1 against the disturbing fat icons in preview mode under Windows 7  >:(

Please CB, make these Toolbar icons switchable. The idea of "real" fullscreen mode sounds promising too, but I guess this is even harder to implement.

Best regards
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 06:58:24 AM »
Michael,

+1 against the disturbing fat icons in preview mode under Windows 7  >:(

Please CB, make these Toolbar icons switchable. The idea of "real" fullscreen mode sounds promising too, but I guess this is even harder to implement.

Switchable between which two sets of icons?  The old set doesn't have any of the new icons.

We're going to replace the current icons with a new set that we think everyone will like much better.

-Kirk

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 07:13:32 AM »
Kirk,

Do not forget the numerous requests to have a real 'full screen' mode for the preview window. When browsing many photos, it's nice to have picture filling the whole screen:
  • you are using the full area (good when using small screen portable pc)
  • your eyes are not distracted by the tool bar
  • it should be still possible to use the keyboard to set color/star rating/tag state

Thank you for listening
Frederic
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:15:19 AM by fds »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 07:41:58 AM »
Frederic,

Do not forget the numerous requests to have a real 'full screen' mode for the preview window. When browsing many photos, it's nice to have picture filling the whole screen:
  • you are using the full area (good when using small screen portable pc)
  • your eyes are not distracted by the tool bar
  • it should be still possible to use the keyboard to set color/star rating/tag state

We haven't forgotten the request, but we won't be working on it until cataloging is completed.

-Kirk

Offline Tim S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 04:32:30 AM »
I just joined this forum specifically for this issue.  I've just installed PM5 and I'm extremely disappointed that these icons are so large and there isn't an option to view an image at true full screen.  I pretty much only use PM for sorting/rating in full screen mode and now the images are not big enough to make a quick assessment without zooming.  It was just to say OK in PM 4.6, but in this version I'm loosing about 5mm (23" monitor) of image space for icons that I never use.  Having to zoom so often slows down my workflow to the point where I'm considering reverting to alternative software such as ACDSee or Pixort for this task.

Until it's sorted, is there a work around, such as using the slideshow feature to rate?

Offline michael33

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
AW: Re: PM 5.0 Disturbing Preview Toolbar Icons
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 11:08:59 PM »

Switchable between which two sets of icons?  The old set doesn't have any of the new icons.

We're going to replace the current icons with a new set that we think everyone will like much better.

Kirk, I meant "switchable" as in "on" or "off".

Once I have set up the preview window, speaking only for myself, I simply have no more use for the whole icon bar. The possibility to switch it off/make the whole bar disappear would help. On my rather small monitor I would gain plenty of space.
If you need it, simply switch it on again.

A compromise could be to use the fullscreen mode....if you blend out Film strip and Info/Tools panel, why would you keep a very big Icon bar?

-Michael

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 12:09:41 PM »
I agree !
Soizic (France)
Mojave 10.14.6  mabookpro and miniMac
PM+ à jour

Offline Tim S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2012, 07:52:58 AM »
Me too, I recently tried using PM on my laptop for sorting/rating while travelling.  I gave up in the end, the images were way too small.  It's a fantastic piece of software except for this issue, I really hope it will be resolved.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 08:18:22 AM »
Me too, I recently tried using PM on my laptop for sorting/rating while travelling.  I gave up in the end, the images were way too small.  It's a fantastic piece of software except for this issue, I really hope it will be resolved.

The difference in height of the toolbar from PM 4.6.x to PM 5.0 is less than 20 pixels.  Are you saying that 20 pixels in height makes the non-zoomed preview images "way too small"?  When the new icons are integrated and the toolbar height decreases, it will be about 20 pixels shorter than it is now.

I hope that makes an appreciable difference for you.

-Kirk

Offline Tim S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2012, 03:37:32 PM »
I confess, I haven't used PM 4.6 on the laptop, only 5 and in comparison to Pixort, which I previously used, yes, the image is way to small.  My ideal would be no icons or toolbar at all for full screen view, but it's great that they're going to be reduced.  Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »
Tim,

I confess, I haven't used PM 4.6 on the laptop, only 5 and in comparison to Pixort, which I previously used, yes, the image is way to small.  My ideal would be no icons or toolbar at all for full screen view, but it's great that they're going to be reduced.  Thank you.

You can also place the thumbnail strip on the left side and gain a bunch of vertical space as well.

-Kirk

Offline Tim S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2012, 06:51:53 AM »
Thanks Kirk, I use 2 screens (except on laptop) and so have my thumbnails on one and selected main image on the other.  It is just portrait images that are the problem, landscape images are plenty big enough, so it would be ideal if the area of the screen taken up by the image itself was full height and exactly square, with all other controls at the side (or on the second monitor), then all images would appear the same maximum size irrespective of orientation. 

Another option I've considered is swivelling the whole monitor to portrait mode, but that's not easy to do with my current setup.

I have discovered that setting the Windows Taskbar to Auto Hide (or putting it at the side or on the other screen) gives a bit of extra height which helps quite a bit.

Offline kevinlb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2012, 04:21:57 PM »
Like Tim, I joined the forum for this topic. I find the toolbar in the Windows preview both to be too big and too visually distracting, to a point where it substantially takes away from the overall experience of using Photo Mechanic for me. The ideal thing for me would be a full screen preview with no start menu, title bar or toolbar, in which I could just use the keyboard commands. When abroad I edit pictures mostly on my laptop, so every row of pixels I lose makes a difference to me. Also, it's a bit hard to concentrate on my photos very bright icons on the screen--they tend to draw the eye. From the screenshots online it appears the Mac version already has the ability to turn off/hide the toolbar in preview; Windows users have the same needs, so I hope this very simple feature can come soon!