Author Topic: Canon 1D Mk I Raw Previews  (Read 20518 times)

Offline Roger Mudd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Canon 1D Mk I Raw Previews
« on: May 05, 2006, 10:17:53 AM »
I know this was covered ad nauseum in the Galbraith forums, but...
Is there support for Raw preview of Canon 1D Mk I files yet? If not, will there ever be?
It's the one thing holding me back from moving to PM. I know the venerable 1D is a dated camera. But I imagine that quite a few people are still using it either as a primary, back-up or remote body.
Bridge can generate previews and that is what I'm using at the moment. Is there a technical snag that makes this impossible with PM? If so, what is Bridge doing differently that allows the viewing of hi-res Raw previews?
I am aware that you can work around this by shooting Raw+Jpeg. But I personally think that solution is a waste of valuable storage.
Not trying to bash the product. Just looking for an answer.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Canon 1D Mk I Raw Previews
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 10:20:49 AM »
I know this was covered ad nauseum in the Galbraith forums, but...
Is there support for Raw preview of Canon 1D Mk I files yet? If not, will there ever be?

You didn't mention your platform, but if you have Mac OS X 10.4.6 and Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 (in beta currently) then you can view 1D and 1Ds RAW TIF files in all their glory.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Roger Mudd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 10:39:46 AM »
You didn't mention your platform...

Dang... Windows :P
Are there plans to roll out similar features on the Windows side?
P.S. - Thanks for the ridiculously quick response.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 10:55:00 AM »
Quote from: kbaker
You didn't mention your platform...

Dang... Windows :P
Are there plans to roll out similar features on the Windows side?
P.S. - Thanks for the ridiculously quick response.

We've heard that Windows Vista will have RAW support which we can use, but also at least for Canon and Nikon there are some useable manufacturer supplied SDKs which we could use...

-Kirk

Offline Roger Mudd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 08:20:01 AM »
I'd love to see Windows support for this feature. You mention that Vista may provide you with the framework to implement this, however, I just read that delivery of Vista may be delayed even further (2Q 2007).

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/05/02/microsoft.vista.reut/

Would proper protocol here dictate that I submit a "Feature Request" in the appropriate forum? Also, am I the only one clamoring for this? Are others here still using the original 1D and would they like to see this feature implemented via Canon's SDK?
Thanks for your help Kirk!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 08:26:28 AM »
I'd love to see Windows support for this feature. You mention that Vista may provide you with the framework to implement this, however, I just read that delivery of Vista may be delayed even further (2Q 2007).

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/05/02/microsoft.vista.reut/

Would proper protocol here dictate that I submit a "Feature Request" in the appropriate forum? Also, am I the only one clamoring for this? Are others here still using the original 1D and would they like to see this feature implemented via Canon's SDK?

No need to request it.  Adding RAW support on Windows, Vista or otherwise, is planned.  Vista just promises wider support than just Nikon or Canon which is attractive.  To my knowledge, only Nikon and Canon provide developer SDKs for rendering their respective RAW formats.  So while we wait for Vista to come along, we can support Canon and Nikon RAW files.

-Kirk

Offline Ron Scheffler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 12:15:23 PM »
Roger, I'm sure you're aware of this but at the moment the easiest workaround is to shoot RAW+JPEG which PM will display as one thumbnail if you set it up to do so with RAW and JPEG pairs and PM will automatically preview the full resolutin JPEG file rather than the puny thumbnail embedded in the RAW. You don't need to record a high quality JPEG either. Large at a setting of 2 or 3 will give you good enough quality to judge sharpness while not taking up too much extra space.
Ron Scheffler - Photographer

Offline Andrew MacKay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Keaphotos.com
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 05:27:34 PM »
My 1D is away getting repaired at the moment :( but as soon as it's back I will try shooting some RAW and see how PM on Vista beta works with them..

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 08:16:54 PM »
My 1D is away getting repaired at the moment :( but as soon as it's back I will try shooting some RAW and see how PM on Vista beta works with them..

It won't.  Since Vista is not a shipping operating system we do not have any code in Photo Mechanic that takes advantage of it.  You won't see any difference running PM on Vista over running PM on XP.

-Kirk

Offline Roger Mudd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 09:35:59 PM »
First off, thanks to all who have posted a response to this thread. It's obvious PM has a knowledgeable and responsive development staff and user base.

Ron... I truly appreciate your input, but losing storage space in-camera is but one of my concerns in regard to shooting RAW+JPEG. I also have to worry about storing and organizing all the JPEGs once they are copied to my drive and then backed up onto another hard drive and DVDs. It adds up after a while. That's the biggest hurdle for me in terms of adopting PM over Bridge.

Kirk... There's no way to not sound pushing asking this, so I'll just go ahead and blurt it out. Is there a timetable for incorporating Windows RAW support for the original 1D?

Thanks again for all your help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 09:44:17 PM »
Kirk... There's no way to not sound pushing asking this, so I'll just go ahead and blurt it out. Is there a timetable for incorporating Windows RAW support for the original 1D?

I haven't discussed the implementation of this with the rest of the team.  I will bring it up soon.  There is no timetable for the implementation of this feature yet.

I'll let you know when I know.

-Kirk

P.S. On the 1D you can enable custom function 30 (I think that is the one, I don't have the manual in front of me...) which will insert larger previews inside the RAW files.  For you this could help things in the interim without having to shoot RAW+JPEG.

Offline Roger Mudd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 11:09:26 PM »
P.S. On the 1D you can enable custom function 30 (I think that is the one, I don't have the manual in front of me...) which will insert larger previews inside the RAW files.  For you this could help things in the interim without having to shoot RAW+JPEG.

I'm not sure there is a custom function 30 Kirk. I pulled the attached screenshot from the 1D manual. Looks like there are "only" 28 and I don't see anything pertaining to JPEG previews. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks again for all your help and please... step away from the computer. You're working too hard  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 12:07:07 AM »

I'm not sure there is a custom function 30 Kirk. I pulled the attached screenshot from the 1D manual. Looks like there are "only" 28 and I don't see anything pertaining to JPEG previews. Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't see it in your chart.  It must have been for the 1Ds instead.  Sorry.

-Kirk