Author Topic: Resizing jpegs  (Read 5747 times)

Offline Ian Brook

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Resizing jpegs
« on: October 28, 2006, 11:00:28 AM »
I am extracting jpegs from NEFs to a folder to upload to the web. However, they need to be resized, and I have to do that via another browser programme. I see that jpegs can be resized in PM for sending by e-mail and it would be cool if there was a way to get jpegs from NEFs, resized to user option sizes (pixels or % of original) and dumped into a folder, in a way that some other programmes can.

Ian Brook

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Resizing jpegs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 11:04:51 AM »
Ian,

I am extracting jpegs from NEFs to a folder to upload to the web. However, they need to be resized, and I have to do that via another browser programme. I see that jpegs can be resized in PM for sending by e-mail and it would be cool if there was a way to get jpegs from NEFs, resized to user option sizes (pixels or % of original) and dumped into a folder, in a way that some other programmes can.

That can already be done in Photo Mechanic.  Here is how you do that:

1) Extract the JPEGs from the RAW files using the "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos..." command on the Tools menu.
2) Open up the destination folder containing your extracted JPEGs as a Contact Sheet.
3) Select All
4) Run "Save As" from the File menu.  Choose your scaled size and then save as JPEG.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Ian Brook

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 11:15:12 AM »
Hi Kirk

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I had tried using the 'save as' command on the RAW files, hoping to save to scaled down jpegs, but I got a message that none of the files could be saved at a higher resolution. I see it is otherwise applied to the extracted jpegs.

Thanks

Ian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 11:56:29 AM »
Ian,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I had tried using the 'save as' command on the RAW files, hoping to save to scaled down jpegs, but I got a message that none of the files could be saved at a higher resolution. I see it is otherwise applied to the extracted jpegs.

It is likely then that you are using the Windows version of Photo Mechanic which currently has no RAW rendering support.  This is something we plan to address in a future version of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk