Author Topic: PM is crashing (sorta)  (Read 4836 times)

Offline BillyDix

• View Profile
PM is crashing (sorta)
« on: October 27, 2006, 08:05:53 AM »
Lately PM 4.4.3.3 has been shutting itself down halfway. I have to go into WinXP task manger to end the task so that I can restart PM again. This is happening from time to time. There is no real reason to put my finger on why this is happening. This is my first incident with PM ever. When I do restart PM all my changes are there.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM is crashing (sorta)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 08:26:33 AM »
Lately PM 4.4.3.3 has been shutting itself down halfway. I have to go into WinXP task manger to end the task so that I can restart PM again. This is happening from time to time. There is no real reason to put my finger on why this is happening. This is my first incident with PM ever. When I do restart PM all my changes are there.

It isn't crashing, so there should not be any data loss.  We have found that the failure to exit completely stems from certain shell extensions being installed.

Can you post a screenshot of the left hand column of a Windows Explorer window?  I want to see if you have any shell extensions active.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline BillyDix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 01:00:50 PM »
I think I missed something. It is doing this all by itself. I am working in PM when it decides to close on it's own. When I close PM by choice. It closes all the way like it should.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 02:53:43 PM »
I think I missed something. It is doing this all by itself. I am working in PM when it decides to close on it's own. When I close PM by choice. It closes all the way like it should.

OK, well that's different.  What are you doing at the time that it decides to shut down?

-Kirk

Offline BillyDix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 03:44:25 PM »
When it happens I am using the scroll wheel to flip thru images on the preview pane tagging images when necessary. Then out of the blue the preview window closes angd the contact window goes.  I ckick on the PM icon nothing happens, then I go into the task manager I see PM is still running. I kill the task and restart PM.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 04:44:46 PM »
When it happens I am using the scroll wheel to flip thru images on the preview pane tagging images when necessary. Then out of the blue the preview window closes angd the contact window goes.  I ckick on the PM icon nothing happens, then I go into the task manager I see PM is still running. I kill the task and restart PM.

Find the Photo Mechanic application with Windows Explorer.  Get Properties on the application.  If its version number isn't 4.4.3.3 then please download the installer again and reinstall version 4.4.3.3.  There was a problem with the initial release which was fixed a day later and the installer was uploaded to our servers again.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Kirk

Offline BillyDix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 08:51:14 PM »
You called it. Problem solved