Author Topic: XMP sidecar files versus embedded XMP info  (Read 14534 times)

Offline Bevilaquafoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
XMP sidecar files versus embedded XMP info
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:17:20 AM »
Dear Photo Mechanic staff

I had my old version of Photo Mechanic embed all XMP data in my raw files rather than creating a sidecar file. I am now using the new Photo Mechanic beta, and some of my preferences did not carry over. Can you please tell me how to choose embedded XMP data over sidecar files in preferences? Any advice that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: XMP sidecar files versus embedded XMP info
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:42:47 AM »
If you open your preferences, choose the IPTC/XMP tab and customise it how you feel you want it.

For reference I have attached mine. I too embed everything into the raw files, but in the occasion I use e.g., Lightroom or Camera Raw, my preferences take care of that too.

For more information you can also have a look at the manual for version 4.6.x; there haven't been any big changes to the IPTC/XMP preferences in PM5.0

Hope this helps,
Hayo

[attachment deleted by admin]
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline iau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:10:29 AM »
I was just searching for the answere to the same question, and I can see that I have my IPTC menue set up just like yours. Is there a way to embed xmp-files that have been created outside of PM, with PM? I believe mine are being created by Lightroom when I do adjustments.

Thanks,
iau

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »
iau,

I was just searching for the answere to the same question, and I can see that I have my IPTC menue set up just like yours. Is there a way to embed xmp-files that have been created outside of PM, with PM? I believe mine are being created by Lightroom when I do adjustments.

If you're using Lightroom I wouldn't suggest embedding XMP data.  Stick with XMP sidecar files.  Lightroom will never update the embedded XMP and will always produce sidecar files.  So they will get out of sync whenever you update metadata in Lightroom.

-Kirk

Offline iau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
iau,

If you're using Lightroom I wouldn't suggest embedding XMP data.  Stick with XMP sidecar files.  Lightroom will never update the embedded XMP and will always produce sidecar files.  So they will get out of sync whenever you update metadata in Lightroom.

-Kirk

Thanks for the advice. Since I do all my tagging and rating in PM I see (just checked) this info will still be intact without the XMP.

Offline Jonzinator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
Is it possible to have PM ignore the XMP files when browsing the folder?

Thanks

Troy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »
Troy,

Which XMP files?  Ones that match up with RAW files or movies?  Or orphaned ones?

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 12:07:13 AM »

Kirk,

probably to show the XMP's not as unknown files in the status bar.

Sven

[attachment deleted by admin]
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 01:56:08 PM »
Hi Folks looking for some help on XMP files in PM5

I have discovered a lot of, apparently, stray XMP and JPG files when I open PM 5. There are a large number of them aand I an reluctant to dumo them. Suspect it is something to do with Lightroom 6 which was recently installed or are they surplus?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 04:32:39 PM »
Frank,

Hi Folks looking for some help on XMP files in PM5

I have discovered a lot of, apparently, stray XMP and JPG files when I open PM 5. There are a large number of them aand I an reluctant to dumo them. Suspect it is something to do with Lightroom 6 which was recently installed or are they surplus?

If the RAW files that the XMP files correspond to aren't known to exist, then the XMP files will be of little use.  JPEGs have embedded XMP and sidecar XMP files are never produced for them.

Whether or not they're surplus would have to be determined by you on a file-by-file basis.  I cannot answer that question for you.

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 11:57:49 PM »
Thanks Kirk for the prompt response. Looks like I am in for a fair amount of work :(