Author Topic: Bug: PM5 beta2 - Problem selecting images with preview window open  (Read 6382 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
Just discovered a bug in PM5 beta2. Normally when I'm selecting images in the contact sheet I can command+click to select non-contiguous selections with no problem.

However, when I also have the preview window open on my second monitor, I find that I can select some images this way on the contact sheet but as soon as I scroll the contact sheet down and then command+click on the next image the sheet jumps back to the image currently displayed in the preview window.

Either making selections in the contact sheet should not be affected by whatever image is currently displayed in the preview window or, better yet, as one command+clicks on each additional image in the contact sheet to select it the preview window should update dynamically to keep up with the contact sheet selection.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Bug: PM5 beta2 - Problem selecting images with preview window open
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:05:34 PM »
Paul,

What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.8.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »
Paul,

Just discovered a bug in PM5 beta2. Normally when I'm selecting images in the contact sheet I can command+click to select non-contiguous selections with no problem.

However, when I also have the preview window open on my second monitor, I find that I can select some images this way on the contact sheet but as soon as I scroll the contact sheet down and then command+click on the next image the sheet jumps back to the image currently displayed in the preview window.

Either making selections in the contact sheet should not be affected by whatever image is currently displayed in the preview window or, better yet, as one command+clicks on each additional image in the contact sheet to select it the preview window should update dynamically to keep up with the contact sheet selection.

I am unable to reproduce this issue.  If you can list a concise set of steps that will reproduce this issue, it would be very helpful.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 10:24:26 PM »
OK, I have the contact sheet open on my main monitor and the preview window open on my second monitor. No images are selected. The preview window displays the first image from the contact sheet.

I click on, say, the first image to select it and then I command+click on subsequent images to make a non-contiguous selection.  If I scroll the sheet down and then command+click on another image the contact sheet jumps back up to the first image, which is currently showing in the preview window. (Whilst making further selections, the image in the preview window remains the same).

I guess a possible solution would be for the preview window to always change to the last image selected, even if it is part of a multi-image selection.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 10:27:14 PM »
Paul,

OK, I have the contact sheet open on my main monitor and the preview window open on my second monitor. No images are selected. The preview window displays the first image from the contact sheet.

I click on, say, the first image to select it and then I command+click on subsequent images to make a non-contiguous selection.  If I scroll the sheet down and then command+click on another image the contact sheet jumps back up to the first image, which is currently showing in the preview window. (Whilst making further selections, the image in the preview window remains the same).

That's what I did and I get no jumping around.  What do your Preview prefs look like?  Feel free to post a screen shot of the Preview section of the Preferences dialog.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »
Here you go...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 07:12:05 AM »
Paul,

Yours look the same as mine in regards to how the Contact Sheet and Preview window are set to synchronize.  Do you have software that records your screen?  If so, would you mind making a video of your interaction (showing both windows) and posting a link to it here?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »
Do you have software that records your screen?  If so, would you mind making a video of your interaction (showing both windows) and posting a link to it here?

Quicktime 10 included with OS X 10.6.8 allows this. Simply open QuickTime Player, then go File -> New Screen Recording.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 06:58:06 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Kevin. Very useful.

Kirk, here's a link to the video I made:

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:12:10 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for the tip, Kevin. Very useful.

Kirk, here's a link to the video I made:

Thanks.  It's that initial select all, followed by the Preview that is at fault.  You don't show your thumbnail strip but I bet it was in 'selected thumbs only' mode.  I had been trying it by selecting one a time like you did near the end of your video.

I'll see what I can do.  As for the request, it will have wait until after 5.0 ships.  Not enough time right now.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 08:15:30 PM »
No problem, thanks Kirk.   :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 11:06:40 AM »
This should be solved in Photo Mechanic: Version 5 Beta 4 which you can get here:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7425.0

-Kirk